Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger SR-9 Trigger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Ruger SR-9 Trigger

Just picked up an SR-9 for my Household 6. When I got it the trigger felt OK, not great, but when I was checking it out last night the trigger was horrible. I dont own a pull scale but I would guess a mushy 12 pounds at best. Anybody had this problem fixed before? I know from the reviews of the SRs this is an issue but they say it gets better as you shoot it more. That is the plan, but do any of you have experiece with these? They are new to me.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #2

That's one reason I've held out on an SR9, the reported heavy triggers. Glock triggers are easy to lighten up. I've never seen the internals of the SR9, and I don't think there are any aftermarket trigger parts available for them. I do love the looks of the SR9 though, very nice looking pistol.
I would guess the pull would get better with use.
Good luck.

MotorG20

Old 02-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

After the first shot try letting the trigger out only enough to where you feel the sear click. If you don't already know this trick it might surprise you. You can practice with the mag out, holding the trigger in and racking the slide and dry firing and then repeating never letting the trigger out all the way.
I use this trigger control when shooting all semi autos, but be wery careful, sometimes you will get double-taps.

Breath
Relax
Aim
Squeeze
Surprise

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
After the first shot try letting the trigger out only enough to where you feel the sear click. If you don't already know this trick it might surprise you. You can practice with the mag out, holding the trigger in and racking the slide and dry firing and then repeating never letting the trigger out all the way.
I use this trigger control when shooting all semi autos, but be wery careful, sometimes you will get double-taps.

Breath
Relax
Aim
Squeeze
Surprise
OMG Joe. Look who the OP was for the thread.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #5

Liked 209 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 1

SR9s have creepy triggers. Ignore the creep and resistance and just pull through the shot. If you need more leverage on the trigger, alter your grip to come around on the gun so you get more finger around the trigger.

The above advice is fine for defensive shooting. If you are going for the ten ring, you may want your arm bones in line with the barrel and you may need to squeeze off the shot slowly, in which case the trigger will be harder to ignore.

Let us know if this advice is a help.

I bet you can polish the internals the way you can Glocks, too.

Trigger reset does help you shoot better but it requires you to train for a specific gun ; traditional trigger squeeze is the same on all guns.

Last edited by Rentacop; 02-28-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 461 Times on 253 Posts

I do not like the Post recall trigger. I prefer the old trigger. Worst thing I did was send it in to get fixed.
Before the fix,if that is what you call it, my seven year old could shoot it like a Champ, after he had problems with it.

It doesn't make too much difference to me, but I also don't mind the Trigger on my Sigma.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #7

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly68 View Post
OMG Joe. Look who the OP was for the thread.

Try the GHOST Hill, they might be able to help you with that trigger pull on that SR-9.

Home

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-28-2010, 09:34 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks brother, appreciate it. ^

Old 02-28-2010, 10:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly68 View Post
Just picked up an SR-9 for my Household 6. When I got it the trigger felt OK, not great, but when I was checking it out last night the trigger was horrible. I dont own a pull scale but I would guess a mushy 12 pounds at best. Anybody had this problem fixed before? I know from the reviews of the SRs this is an issue but they say it gets better as you shoot it more. That is the plan, but do any of you have experiece with these? They are new to me.
Yea, I picked up an SR9 in December/January after reading some 'great' reviews. Its not a bad gun at all, but after using a Glock I dumped the SR and picked up a Glock 17. Don't get me wrong, the SR9 is a fine gun. I'm not a fan of their disassembly regiment, but the gun is accurate and eat anything I've put through it.

Steve

Old 03-01-2010, 12:43 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I shot a new SR-9 today and played with the trigger a little bit. I didn't think is was that bad.

HB, I apologies if I gave you too much information but I never take anything or anyone for granted. That stems from the many years of teaching.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.