Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger or S&W

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Ruger or S&W

I'm looking to buy a 9mm and considering a Ruger sr9 or S&W M&P....wondering if anyone has had experience with both pistols, pros and cons of each. Which would you prefer? Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2011, 01:43 AM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

its really up to your personal preference and which one is cheaper or feels the best in your hands ?? If it were my choice id say get the S&W, the rugers are nice but the M&P's just a better choice IMO...

Old 12-27-2011, 03:19 AM   #3

I had a m&p, and the front sights would drift more and more right with every mag. I called s&w to send it in, got the slide back and it appeared fixed. But then the slide wouldn't lock after the last round. I sent 500 rounds through just to see if it was the break in period (if you believe there is one) and about 50% of the time it still wouldn't lock. No matter what magazine I used. I ended up selling it. I wasn't too fond of the customer service when I called. I'm not trying to thrash s&w, they make amazing firearms. It was just a bad expirence I choose wasn't worth the trouble anymore.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:26 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1096 Times on 711 Posts
Likes Given: 622

i do not have any exprience with the mp. but i own a sr9c. i am very fond of this pistol.its comfortable, reasonably priced. ive not had any problems with mine. it has eaten everything ive fed it. i would have to say that the only con i have with it is the magazine catch/release. it is a little stiff at first. when i first started shooting i could barely release it with one finger. however after a few hundred rounds it is just perfect. it just slightly annoyed me when i was first shooting. i would say get a sr9.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Last edited by jjfuller1; 12-27-2011 at 08:33 PM.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:41 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I haven't owned any of the new Ruger polymer guns except the LCP. The LCP was so terrible, I won't even compare it in this post. I can highly recommend the M&P's as I have several and they work very well for me. I do like the looks of the SR Rugers and think that low bore axis would be great to shoot, but have yet to try one. Good luck in your selection.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:55 AM   #6

I own the SR9c, as fuller said earlier, I agree with everything he had to say. Comes with two mags and depending on what state you live in its either two 10 roun d mags or a 10 and a 17 round mag. The 17 makes the grip like the full size SR9. It's all personal preference though. I opted for ruger because it fit my hand like a glove and it felt more natural to me.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:52 AM   #7

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Both very good....the ruger would be my choice though. I own both....like the m&p but love the ruger.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Thanks for the feed back everyone. Going to a gun show this weekend to check out prices on each.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:06 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I own an SR9c aswell and I love the thing. It feels great in the hand, shoots very well, has some of the features I want, and most importantly mine has functioned flawlessly so far. It really is going to boil down to personal preference, and cost. I like a pistol to have some form of external saftey, whether it be a grip or thumb saftey, and no a trigger saftey does not count. I'll admit I'm a Ruger guy, but I like Smith and Wesson too. I just prefer Ruger's SR series as apposed to Smith and Wesson M&P series.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 12-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I bought an M&P9c about 7 months ago. I love it. Points very naturally for me and fits my hand really well. It very quickly became my primary CCW. I had not really considered them and was really leaning towards the XDM. But standing at the counter, I saw the Smith sitting there and started looking at it. Liked the way it felt in my hand better than the XDM. I like the way it looks better, too, but that's obviously even more subjective.