Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Ruger or S&W (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/ruger-s-w-54191/)

bassho 12-26-2011 11:04 PM

Ruger or S&W

I'm looking to buy a 9mm and considering a Ruger sr9 or S&W M&P....wondering if anyone has had experience with both pistols, pros and cons of each. Which would you prefer? Thanks

lyodbraun 12-27-2011 01:43 AM

its really up to your personal preference and which one is cheaper or feels the best in your hands ?? If it were my choice id say get the S&W, the rugers are nice but the M&P's just a better choice IMO...

tbruins37 12-27-2011 03:19 AM

I had a m&p, and the front sights would drift more and more right with every mag. I called s&w to send it in, got the slide back and it appeared fixed. But then the slide wouldn't lock after the last round. I sent 500 rounds through just to see if it was the break in period (if you believe there is one) and about 50% of the time it still wouldn't lock. No matter what magazine I used. I ended up selling it. I wasn't too fond of the customer service when I called. I'm not trying to thrash s&w, they make amazing firearms. It was just a bad expirence I choose wasn't worth the trouble anymore.

jjfuller1 12-27-2011 03:26 AM

i do not have any exprience with the mp. but i own a sr9c. i am very fond of this pistol.its comfortable, reasonably priced. ive not had any problems with mine. it has eaten everything ive fed it. i would have to say that the only con i have with it is the magazine catch/release. it is a little stiff at first. when i first started shooting i could barely release it with one finger. however after a few hundred rounds it is just perfect. it just slightly annoyed me when i was first shooting. i would say get a sr9.

dallascj 12-27-2011 04:41 AM

I haven't owned any of the new Ruger polymer guns except the LCP. The LCP was so terrible, I won't even compare it in this post. I can highly recommend the M&P's as I have several and they work very well for me. I do like the looks of the SR Rugers and think that low bore axis would be great to shoot, but have yet to try one. Good luck in your selection.

jacob_gatz 12-27-2011 04:55 AM

I own the SR9c, as fuller said earlier, I agree with everything he had to say. Comes with two mags and depending on what state you live in its either two 10 roun d mags or a 10 and a 17 round mag. The 17 makes the grip like the full size SR9. It's all personal preference though. I opted for ruger because it fit my hand like a glove and it felt more natural to me.

bostonscottkelly 12-27-2011 05:52 AM

Both very good....the ruger would be my choice though. I own both....like the m&p but love the ruger.

bassho 12-27-2011 06:11 PM

Thanks for the feed back everyone. Going to a gun show this weekend to check out prices on each.

Firearms4ever 12-28-2011 03:06 AM

I own an SR9c aswell and I love the thing. It feels great in the hand, shoots very well, has some of the features I want, and most importantly mine has functioned flawlessly so far. It really is going to boil down to personal preference, and cost. I like a pistol to have some form of external saftey, whether it be a grip or thumb saftey, and no a trigger saftey does not count. I'll admit I'm a Ruger guy, but I like Smith and Wesson too. I just prefer Ruger's SR series as apposed to Smith and Wesson M&P series.

Tom86 12-29-2011 01:47 PM

I bought an M&P9c about 7 months ago. I love it. Points very naturally for me and fits my hand really well. It very quickly became my primary CCW. I had not really considered them and was really leaning towards the XDM. But standing at the counter, I saw the Smith sitting there and started looking at it. Liked the way it felt in my hand better than the XDM. I like the way it looks better, too, but that's obviously even more subjective.