Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger P95 Failure To Extract Problem Fixed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 10:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 156 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default Ruger P95 Failure To Extract Problem Fixed

Well,after going on a Ruger forum and finding alot of people having my problems,I found out what was wrong.Apparently Ruger has made some extractor arms that did not take to the heat treating,according to a Ruger tech,so you need to replace the extractor or tune it,and that's what I did,tuned it.I traced the extractor arm on paper to have a starting point,and bent the extractor arm with it's natural bend until it was about 2mm more bent than before.I also cleaned alot of gunk from between where the arm and slide contact and cleaned the hook real well while it was out.I went out with 110 rounds of WWB and had not a single failure to extract,eject or feed with all them rounds,and I did not change how I was shooting,so I know it was never limp wristing.I don't know if the bent arm will stay tuned,or if it can lose it's tension again.I might order a new extractor arm in case.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2010, 10:20 PM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I take it this was a used gun not under warranty. I'd order the new extractor arm if so.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
I take it this was a used gun not under warranty. I'd order the new extractor arm if so.
No it was a brand new gun.I just sent Ruger an email to see what I have to do to get a new extractor.

S&W 915 9mm
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 03-31-2010, 01:34 AM   #4

Liked 1761 Times on 982 Posts
Likes Given: 1158

You are sure it was not all the gunk that you cleaned out? A little gunk can go a long way in screwing up the cycling of a pistol.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
You are sure it was not all the gunk that you cleaned out? A little gunk can go a long way in screwing up the cycling of a pistol.
Maybe.I cleaned it for the first time with Hoppes solvent at the time I bent the arm,I was using a 3 in one cleaner before.The pistol feels snappier when it shoots now,so maybe it was too gunky.

S&W 915 9mm
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 04-03-2010, 05:01 AM   #6
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
Well,after going on a Ruger forum and finding alot of people having my problems,I found out what was wrong.Apparently Ruger has made some extractor arms that did not take to the heat treating,according to a Ruger tech,so you need to replace the extractor or tune it,and that's what I did,tuned it.I traced the extractor arm on paper to have a starting point,and bent the extractor arm with it's natural bend until it was about 2mm more bent than before.I also cleaned alot of gunk from between where the arm and slide contact and cleaned the hook real well while it was out.I went out with 110 rounds of WWB and had not a single failure to extract,eject or feed with all them rounds,and I did not change how I was shooting,so I know it was never limp wristing.I don't know if the bent arm will stay tuned,or if it can lose it's tension again.I might order a new extractor arm in case.
This has got to be an April fools joke. As I recall you are new to handguns but can now "tune" an extractor. Add this is a new pistol and instead of having the factory fix the issue you tweeked the extractor. Looked for the mentioned heat treat issue, that would be at least a service notice, just can't find it. Please provide a link if you have one. My simple understanding of heat treating is to apply a semi perminate state to the metal condition. It isn't a subjective process and it is a controled/verified process so "not taking" to the heat treat makes no sense.

Either cleaning the "Gunk" made the difference, or your a gunsmith prodigy or you got me to repond to your April fools joke. Please tell me it is the third one!

I know it best not to feed them but DAM

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #7

"tuning" an extractor will do nothing if it is not properly heat treated. it may help for a while, but i wouldnt expect a perminant fix.

and unless ruger has changed things in the last few years, your not going to get an extractor from them. its a "restricted" part that they will not send out to ANYONE. you will have to send your pistol, or at least your slide, back to the factory for them to do it.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #8

We got ahold of Ruger,and the P95 tech said that if I would have sent the gun in,he would have done exactly what I did to it ,he would have bent it a little and put the arm back in.He said it won't weaken it and that I can bend it a millimeter or so every time I think it needs a tune.He said I was on the right path,so I feel better now about tuning it.I got 170 rounds through it since the tune with zero failures to extract,so I am happy.

S&W 915 9mm
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 04-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2686 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Restricted part? That's funny...One of our guys has a Ruger .45 (I forget the model) that had an extractor problem. He called and told them it was a duty gun. They overnighted the part to him. He brought it to me to install. I said I know diddly squat about Rugers. The new extractor came with instructions that were simple, really simple. I had the part changed in less time than I could type this.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-07-2010, 02:27 AM   #10

again, unless they changed anything.

heres my manual

http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/pSeries.pdf

from page 28

Quote:
*Parts designated by an asterisk must be factory fitted. These parts are fitted on
an exchange basis only. We will not return the replaced parts.
they would not send me a new extractor. they wouldnot send it to my closest ruger factory authorized dealer. numrich sent me one.

and yes, changing it took a fraction of the time it took me to type this out.