Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Ruger P95 Failure To Extract Problem Fixed (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/ruger-p95-failure-extract-problem-fixed-25389/)

ninjatoth 03-30-2010 10:14 PM

Ruger P95 Failure To Extract Problem Fixed

Well,after going on a Ruger forum and finding alot of people having my problems,I found out what was wrong.Apparently Ruger has made some extractor arms that did not take to the heat treating,according to a Ruger tech,so you need to replace the extractor or tune it,and that's what I did,tuned it.I traced the extractor arm on paper to have a starting point,and bent the extractor arm with it's natural bend until it was about 2mm more bent than before.I also cleaned alot of gunk from between where the arm and slide contact and cleaned the hook real well while it was out.I went out with 110 rounds of WWB and had not a single failure to extract,eject or feed with all them rounds,and I did not change how I was shooting,so I know it was never limp wristing.I don't know if the bent arm will stay tuned,or if it can lose it's tension again.I might order a new extractor arm in case.

dunerunner 03-30-2010 10:20 PM

I take it this was a used gun not under warranty. I'd order the new extractor arm if so.

ninjatoth 03-30-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunerunner (Post 260703)
I take it this was a used gun not under warranty. I'd order the new extractor arm if so.

No it was a brand new gun.I just sent Ruger an email to see what I have to do to get a new extractor.

Rick1967 03-31-2010 01:34 AM

You are sure it was not all the gunk that you cleaned out? A little gunk can go a long way in screwing up the cycling of a pistol.

ninjatoth 03-31-2010 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick1967 (Post 260866)
You are sure it was not all the gunk that you cleaned out? A little gunk can go a long way in screwing up the cycling of a pistol.

Maybe.I cleaned it for the first time with Hoppes solvent at the time I bent the arm,I was using a 3 in one cleaner before.The pistol feels snappier when it shoots now,so maybe it was too gunky.

WDB 04-03-2010 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjatoth (Post 260699)
Well,after going on a Ruger forum and finding alot of people having my problems,I found out what was wrong.Apparently Ruger has made some extractor arms that did not take to the heat treating,according to a Ruger tech,so you need to replace the extractor or tune it,and that's what I did,tuned it.I traced the extractor arm on paper to have a starting point,and bent the extractor arm with it's natural bend until it was about 2mm more bent than before.I also cleaned alot of gunk from between where the arm and slide contact and cleaned the hook real well while it was out.I went out with 110 rounds of WWB and had not a single failure to extract,eject or feed with all them rounds,and I did not change how I was shooting,so I know it was never limp wristing.I don't know if the bent arm will stay tuned,or if it can lose it's tension again.I might order a new extractor arm in case.

This has got to be an April fools joke. As I recall you are new to handguns but can now "tune" an extractor. Add this is a new pistol and instead of having the factory fix the issue you tweeked the extractor. Looked for the mentioned heat treat issue, that would be at least a service notice, just can't find it. Please provide a link if you have one. My simple understanding of heat treating is to apply a semi perminate state to the metal condition. It isn't a subjective process and it is a controled/verified process so "not taking" to the heat treat makes no sense.

Either cleaning the "Gunk" made the difference, or your a gunsmith prodigy or you got me to repond to your April fools joke. Please tell me it is the third one!

I know it best not to feed them but DAM

deth502 04-03-2010 04:13 PM

"tuning" an extractor will do nothing if it is not properly heat treated. it may help for a while, but i wouldnt expect a perminant fix.

and unless ruger has changed things in the last few years, your not going to get an extractor from them. its a "restricted" part that they will not send out to ANYONE. you will have to send your pistol, or at least your slide, back to the factory for them to do it.

ninjatoth 04-06-2010 07:13 PM

We got ahold of Ruger,and the P95 tech said that if I would have sent the gun in,he would have done exactly what I did to it ,he would have bent it a little and put the arm back in.He said it won't weaken it and that I can bend it a millimeter or so every time I think it needs a tune.He said I was on the right path,so I feel better now about tuning it.I got 170 rounds through it since the tune with zero failures to extract,so I am happy.

robocop10mm 04-06-2010 07:58 PM

Restricted part? That's funny...One of our guys has a Ruger .45 (I forget the model) that had an extractor problem. He called and told them it was a duty gun. They overnighted the part to him. He brought it to me to install. I said I know diddly squat about Rugers. The new extractor came with instructions that were simple, really simple. I had the part changed in less time than I could type this.

deth502 04-07-2010 02:27 AM

again, unless they changed anything.

heres my manual

http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/pSeries.pdf

from page 28

Quote:

*Parts designated by an asterisk must be factory fitted. These parts are fitted on
an exchange basis only. We will not return the replaced parts.
they would not send me a new extractor. they wouldnot send it to my closest ruger factory authorized dealer. numrich sent me one.

and yes, changing it took a fraction of the time it took me to type this out.