Ruger P Series swapping
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger P Series swapping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger P Series swapping

Will a Ruger P89 Slide and barrel fit on a Ruger P90 Frame? or Vise Versa? How about a P94/944 (40 S&W) will that slide onto either of the other frames or vise versa?

Taking into account the same decocker and saftey setup. (e.g. a P89DC on a P90DC, or just the P89 DA on P90 DA).

I have yet to find a definitive answer. I have a Taurus PT-92 and a Taurus PT-100 and can swap slides around and easily go from 9mm to 40 and back, just swapping my slide, barrel, and magazine.

Could I go from 9mm to 45, and 40 or any combination in the Ruger platform?

If it does not work simply because the magazines don't work that's fine, I can fix that.

Thoughts anyone?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2788 Times on 1615 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Before anyone can answer, we would like to get to know you.
How about stopping in the "Introductions" area.

We do not know your experience and are hesitant to say "yes" or "no".

Have you personally tried it?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

They won't interchange to the best of my knowledge. I don't understand why you would want to in the 1st place as Ruger don't offer conversion kits anyway. If you have the slide/mag/barrel then you also have the frame.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #4

Default Made intro, and more information

Well hello danf_fl. I did as suggested and posted an introduction. To re-iterate a little bit, I reload and am accustomed to paying attention to detail. No, I have not personally tried it. That's why I posted the question.

stalkingbear: Taurus (or Beretta for that matter) doesn't make reference to swapping either, but I do it. I even have the 22 Taurus conversion kit. When I called their support, the gal I talked to had no clue that they even made such a thing. So the "Ruger don't offer conversion kits anyway" doesn't mean a whole lot. I just want to be able to do it, even if it requires a little modification. I turned my WASR 10 from a single stack to a double stack and it works beautifully.

I have purchased a slide, barrel, and magazine without having the frame, so yes that's possible.

I apologize if this might come off a little curt to anyone. I was looking for something constructive vs negative of "I don't understand why you would want to in the 1st place". A definitive answer like "On the Taurus PT-92, the slide catch does not protrude out enough to catch the PT-100/101 slide, and the replacing the 92 slide catch with the 100/101 and it works perfectly, but you will have slight problems just doing the top end ONLY." (for example) is a much more constructive answer.

Regarding that, if someone only has one of the pistols in question (Ruger P Series), if they could run their caliper over the critical areas, it would greatly enhance my education, and likely the responses in this thread. Thank you.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2788 Times on 1615 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Have you looked at any 1911's? Those are begging to be modified to your personal firearm.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-06-2011, 04:21 AM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have an old P-85 and will check the dimensions in the next day or 2. I just got back from watching freestyle monster jam and am too tired tonight.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-06-2011, 04:38 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a P944 that I can take measurements from, if you tell me what it is you want. I've also wondered if this is possible, as the wifey has a P95 (which I don't care for) and wondered if I could swap slide/barrel/mags to my P944 frame (which I do like).

Old 03-14-2011, 04:46 AM   #8

Default Measurements

I took measurements of the slide rail of my P90. I am curious to see how the P89, P94, and 944 "measures up". What I found is that the slide rails are roughly .746 Inches or 18.94mm although this might be off a little.

img_0551.jpg   img_0553.jpg  

Old 03-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
P90

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
They won't interchange to the best of my knowledge. I don't understand why you would want to in the 1st place as Ruger don't offer conversion kits anyway. If you have the slide/mag/barrel then you also have the frame.
You're right. They won't interchange.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #10

WHY won't they interchange? Are the measurements drastically different? Is the slide too long/short? Too thin/wide? What?