Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger MKIII 22 l.r. Tough Choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger MKIII 22 l.r. Tough Choice

I want to get the Ruger MKIII 22 l.r. in stainless finish but have a tough time choosing the model. I’ve narrowed it down to the following three which are priced similarly.

(1) Ruger MKIII Target model with 5.50 inch barrel(black synthetic grip and thick barrel)
(2) Ruger MKIII Competition model with 6.88 inch slab barrel (rosewood grip with thumbrest)
(3) Ruger MKIII Hunter model with 5.50 inch barrel (flute barrel/rosewood grip); this is a TALO distribution model.

I think the 5 ½ inch barrel is best length (not too long as 6.88 inch but not short as the 4-1/2 inch version). Correct me if I’m wrong.

I’m in CT so I cannot hunt with a pistol. It’s for shooting practice and target. BTW, I prefer the wood grip to the black synthetic grip. Not sure about the choice of barrel though: thick barrel, slab or flute barrel?

What’s the advantage/disadvantage of each barrel? Is the Hunter model on par with the Target or Competition models for accuracy, balance and handling? Please share your experience.

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

It's really personal choice. I have the short barreled Hunter, my son has a 5 1/2" target model - both are fun shooters and more accurate than the shooters. My Hunter...

Old 02-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #3

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 931

I think the 5.5" bull barrel makes the most sense and the Hunter model is very nice, love the fluted barrel.

I have a Mark II and Mark III with the 5.5" and a Mark I in the tapered 6-7/8" (all Target models) and like the shorter barrels. The Mark II is by far my favorite but I do like that the Mark III comes tapped for an optic.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:43 AM   #4

I have the Mark III, however I have the 22/45. I know you are looking to stay away from the plastics...

But wanted to share with you that I like my Mark III and have enjoyed the accuracy and inexpensive enjoyment it has brought me. I've put a Bushnell Holo Sight on it and fun with that as well.

NRA Endowment Member
host of www.triggertalk.tv

Old 03-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #5

I have the Hunter and couldn't be any happier. The only thing I did change on it was the front sight. I hate fiber optic junk.

Buy the one you like the most now but don't beat yourself up dwelling on it, you'll probably end up owning all three variants like most Mark enthusiasts. Those things multiply in a hurry.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:56 AM   #6

I have the Ruger Mark III Hunter and couldn't be happier! I spent a few bucks and sent it to "Volquartsen" and had a trigger and supressor installed and I shoot like the pro's now, Wow what a difference! It likes Federal ammo but not Remmington. My favorite and most fun gun!

Old 05-17-2011, 05:54 AM   #7
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6746 Times on 4075 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

I am very interested in a Mark II or III, also. I have to find out what the differences are between the different models. This is an interesting thread for me. Thanks.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #8

Default Ruger MK11

winds-of-change: Ma'am, MK11, MK111 difference; Magazine are different.
{ rather stupid, now mags don't interchange }

For all around shooting with MK11 Target 6 7/8

much can be done with aftermarket ''stuff'' for these MK's. Considering I don't buy anything to trade or get rid of I tinker.

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 05-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

The wife has had a MkII bull barrel Govt. Model for years. Previous owner had a trigger job done on it, and it was done well, so smooth, so sweet..
Anyway, an absolute tack driver. If the MkIII's come even close they should be awesome.

I'd go with the 5.5" bull barrel MkIII, JMHO.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:11 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have the Competition model (6.8 in. slab-side bbl) and I love it.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm