Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Ruger MKIII 22 l.r. Tough Choice (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/ruger-mkiii-22-l-r-tough-choice-37811/)

bf109 02-02-2011 07:18 PM

Ruger MKIII 22 l.r. Tough Choice

I want to get the Ruger MKIII 22 l.r. in stainless finish but have a tough time choosing the model. I’ve narrowed it down to the following three which are priced similarly.

(1) Ruger MKIII Target model with 5.50 inch barrel(black synthetic grip and thick barrel)
(2) Ruger MKIII Competition model with 6.88 inch slab barrel (rosewood grip with thumbrest)
(3) Ruger MKIII Hunter model with 5.50 inch barrel (flute barrel/rosewood grip); this is a TALO distribution model.

I think the 5 inch barrel is best length (not too long as 6.88 inch but not short as the 4-1/2 inch version). Correct me if I’m wrong.

I’m in CT so I cannot hunt with a pistol. It’s for shooting practice and target. BTW, I prefer the wood grip to the black synthetic grip. Not sure about the choice of barrel though: thick barrel, slab or flute barrel?

What’s the advantage/disadvantage of each barrel? Is the Hunter model on par with the Target or Competition models for accuracy, balance and handling? Please share your experience.

Thanks.

NGIB 02-02-2011 07:22 PM

It's really personal choice. I have the short barreled Hunter, my son has a 5 1/2" target model - both are fun shooters and more accurate than the shooters. My Hunter...

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j.../IMG_MK3-X.jpg

Quentin 02-02-2011 09:14 PM

I think the 5.5" bull barrel makes the most sense and the Hunter model is very nice, love the fluted barrel.

I have a Mark II and Mark III with the 5.5" and a Mark I in the tapered 6-7/8" (all Target models) and like the shorter barrels. The Mark II is by far my favorite but I do like that the Mark III comes tapped for an optic.

Reuben_Mishler 03-09-2011 05:43 AM

I have the Mark III, however I have the 22/45. I know you are looking to stay away from the plastics...

But wanted to share with you that I like my Mark III and have enjoyed the accuracy and inexpensive enjoyment it has brought me. I've put a Bushnell Holo Sight on it and fun with that as well.

ManInBlack83 03-11-2011 03:47 PM

I have the Hunter and couldn't be any happier. The only thing I did change on it was the front sight. I hate fiber optic junk.

Buy the one you like the most now but don't beat yourself up dwelling on it, you'll probably end up owning all three variants like most Mark enthusiasts. Those things multiply in a hurry.

newguy22 05-17-2011 03:56 AM

I have the Ruger Mark III Hunter and couldn't be happier! I spent a few bucks and sent it to "Volquartsen" and had a trigger and supressor installed and I shoot like the pro's now, Wow what a difference! It likes Federal ammo but not Remmington. My favorite and most fun gun!

winds-of-change 05-17-2011 05:54 AM

I am very interested in a Mark II or III, also. I have to find out what the differences are between the different models. This is an interesting thread for me. Thanks.

Neophyte1 05-17-2011 09:59 AM

Ruger MK11

winds-of-change: Ma'am, MK11, MK111 difference; Magazine are different.
{ rather stupid, now mags don't interchange }

For all around shooting with MK11 Target 6 7/8 :)

much can be done with aftermarket ''stuff'' for these MK's. Considering I don't buy anything to trade or get rid of:) I tinker.

Thebiker 05-17-2011 06:34 PM

The wife has had a MkII bull barrel Govt. Model for years. Previous owner had a trigger job done on it, and it was done well, so smooth, so sweet..
Anyway, an absolute tack driver. If the MkIII's come even close they should be awesome.

I'd go with the 5.5" bull barrel MkIII, JMHO.

Mr. Bluesky 05-18-2011 03:11 AM

I have the Competition model (6.8 in. slab-side bbl) and I love it.