Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Mk III Loose Sight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Ruger Mk III Loose Sight

Cleaning my gun after being at the range, I noticed that the front sight was loose. I straightened it carefully, tightened the screw, and didn't think anything of it. Then it decided to come loose mid-mag on my most recent range trip, so I tightened it again. Then it kept getting looser and looser as I shot. I think it's something to do with the barrel expanding from the heat, but I have no idea what caused this to start happening all of a sudden. The gun has several thousand rounds through it, and it's only done this the past two times I've shot it.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any idea how to solve it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-07-2009, 11:23 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Never had it happen to me but some red loctite will fix it up...

Old 12-07-2009, 11:28 PM   #3

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

mine has about the same amount of rounds through it...never had this prob before...front sight you say?...my front sight had a roll pin through the blade of the sight before i took it off and threw a red dot scope on it....if the screw is coming lose on you....get some blue loc-tite and put on the threads then run your screw back in & you should be good to go... but if it comes lose again...get some red loc-tite & do the same

Old 12-07-2009, 11:28 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Never had it happen to me but some red loctite will fix it up...
Is this something I'll be able to remove without damaging the finish if I need to remove the sight in the future?

Old 12-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bluesky View Post
Is this something I'll be able to remove without damaging the finish if I need to remove the sight in the future?
A little heat applied to the screw head will break the loctite grip. A small soldering iron works great for this...

Old 12-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If applying heat loosens it up, how will it hold when the gun barrel gets hot? I'm not doubting you, just trying to get all the info before I goo up any part of my gun.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #7

Quote:
If applying heat loosens it up, how will it hold when the gun barrel gets hot? I'm not doubting you, just trying to get all the info before I goo up any part of my gun.
I seriously doubt the barrel gets that hot even with prolonged and continued use. You asked a question, we provided answers - your choice whether to take the advice or not...

Old 12-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #8

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Dude how many rounds you shoot threw that thing? I have 5 mags and Had the kids loading once and I fired almost 500 rounds almost non stop and it didn't get that hot.

I used blue locktite on my and it works like a champ. I have seen a bunch of the heavy barrel single screw sights come lose. They should have put in 2 screws. Blue lock tite it and you will be good to go and no need for heat to get the screw out.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:07 PM   #9

Liked 181 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 145

Quote:
First of all -- you need to remove the screw and the sight from the gun then clean and dry the threads of the screw and the threaded hole in the barrel. You'll need to remove any trace of oil from the threads in order for the loc-tite to adhere properly. Acetone, brake cleaner, gun-scrubber, alcohol etc., will work as a de-greaser.

And you won't "goo up" the gun because you are only going to use 1 drop of the blue (#242) loc-tite on each of the screws. Get the screws snug, but don't over do it. Believe me - the screws won't come loose again until you want them to.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
First of all -- you need to remove the screw and the sight from the gun then clean and dry the threads of the screw and the threaded hole in the barrel. You'll need to remove any trace of oil from the threads in order for the loc-tite to adhere properly. Acetone, brake cleaner, gun-scrubber, alcohol etc., will work as a de-greaser.

And you won't "goo up" the gun because you are only going to use 1 drop of the blue (#242) loc-tite on each of the screws. Get the screws snug, but don't over do it. Believe me - the screws won't come loose again until you want them to.
Awesome, thanks very much.