Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Mark III Learning Experience

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19817 Times on 11251 Posts
Likes Given: 49935

i too felt a little overwhelmed the first time i stripped down my Mark III! it does get easier the more times it is done. just follow the intructions in the owners manual and it will go back together and work.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:47 AM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
i too felt a little overwhelmed the first time i stripped down my Mark III! it does get easier the more times it is done. just follow the intructions in the owners manual and it will go back together and work.
I'd heard from others before I bought it that field stripping was difficult. After breaking it in with 300 rounds of CCI mini mags, I watched a few You Tubes, got out my tools and cleaning kit and went at it. Like my first car, taking it apart was a lot easier than putting it back together.

Now, I've put about 1,500 rounds thru it and the field stripping is getting easier mechanically.

The big problems came about when I removed the magazine safety. But now, the sear positioning is etched into my old fart brain.

Texas Damnit
2nd Place Medalist - SE Asia War Games (1971-72)

Old 04-04-2012, 04:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerfudge View Post
Thanks.

~ 6 years of FOD walk-downs as NFO. You?
I spent a total of 24 years on Active duty AF. Started out as an Instrument Tech, and finished as a Pro Supper.

"A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown"

Last edited by Armedacadian; 04-04-2012 at 04:50 AM.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:52 AM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armedacadian

I spent a total of 24 years on Active duty AF. Started out as an Instrument Tech, and finished as a Pro Supper.
They took my Intruder away and gave me a desk. Was time to leave.

Texas Damnit
2nd Place Medalist - SE Asia War Games (1971-72)

Old 04-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #15
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6743 Times on 4074 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerfudge View Post
I'd heard from others before I bought it that field stripping was difficult. After breaking it in with 300 rounds of CCI mini mags, I watched a few You Tubes, got out my tools and cleaning kit and went at it. Like my first car, taking it apart was a lot easier than putting it back together.

Now, I've put about 1,500 rounds thru it and the field stripping is getting easier mechanically.

The big problems came about when I removed the magazine safety. But now, the sear positioning is etched into my old fart brain.
Interesting. My big problems came about when I tried to put in a new thumb safety. I know exactly what you mean about the sear. Your story is very similar to mine. I feel I learned a lot about my gun with that little adventure. I think if I had to do it again, it would be easier. Would I want to do it again.........no!! After that little venture, field stripping it seems to be quite easy. LOL

Old 04-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I got mine recently. Out of the box it was shooting like crap. Many FTF and FTEs, stove pipes, you name it over only two mags. I then decided to clean it and the fun began. Putting it back together was a pain in the neck with a new gun. Anyways, I was able to remove alll that thick lube they put on the factory and finally re-assembled the thing but not before marring some of the finish.
It is a different gun now, with over 500 rounds through it, no additional cleaning and no issues whatsoever. shooting Federal and Blazer ammo.
Nice gun and fun to own.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #17
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6743 Times on 4074 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstkmaro View Post
I got mine recently. Out of the box it was shooting like crap. Many FTF and FTEs, stove pipes, you name it over only two mags. I then decided to clean it and the fun began. Putting it back together was a pain in the neck with a new gun. Anyways, I was able to remove alll that thick lube they put on the factory and finally re-assembled the thing but not before marring some of the finish.
It is a different gun now, with over 500 rounds through it, no additional cleaning and no issues whatsoever. shooting Federal and Blazer ammo.
Nice gun and fun to own.
I bought mine used. Someone had already broken it in for me. I love that Mark II.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #18

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I remember how my Mark II gave me fits the first few times I took it apart. Now it is no big deal but I had to learn the process before it quit stressing me.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The 1st time breaking my MARK III 22/45 down really was a pain in the *&#$ but after the 2nd time it was easier, Then after removing the mag safety and replacing it with a MARK II hammer bushing break down and reassembly was cake.

I did the slide release mod the other day and must say it is worth doing, I went out today shot 300 rds with out the sore thumb lol. Before I bought this gun I did alot of home work watching vids and reading what ever I could about the mark 3 and it seemed most people love the gun but were put of with the break down so I knew what I was getting in to. I really like that I do not need and tools to break the gun down.

I have a fiber front and love it, I bought a TruGlo red dot and tried it out to day man this gun can shoot but I do not like how this red dot looks on my 22/45 so I may try a different one.

I am posting the links to a vid on break down and a page I found that will help others completely take this gun apart, It help me with the slide release mod I did. I am sure this will not help you out due to I am sure you know this already but I will post it for any one new to this pistol and reads your post.
Keep us updated on any mods you do to this pistol and how they come out, I am interested to know.
Ruger mark III complete break down
http://www.realguns.com/archives/171.htm

break down vid
http://youtu.be/4fIYIWK0boo

Rain, snow or sleet.... Mud, sand and dirt.... My GLOCK will work ;)

Old 04-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #20
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19817 Times on 11251 Posts
Likes Given: 49935

i really like my Mark III 22/45 target model. it is a pistol that i am truly glad i bought and mine gets shot quite a bit. maybe next year, i might do some mods to mine, but as well as it shoots and the fact it's a fun gun to shoot, the mods are not a top priorty in firearm projects right now. the Ruger is a perfect pistol for a learner or a veteran shooter and is just a fun gun to target shoot with. my only regret, is that i wish i had bought one much sooner!