Ruger Mark III Learning Experience
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Mark III Learning Experience

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts

Default Ruger Mark III Learning Experience

The Ruger Mark II .22 pistol is a whole lot of fun to shoot and cheap too. 3 cents per shell at Wal-Mart. As compared to 28 cents per shell for 9mm. Used Christmas money I had hoarded away to buy it. ($284.00)

I shoot every Friday. Indoor range 3 miles from home. Outdoor range 9 miles.

I had finally figured out how to field strip the MK III to clean it. .22’s are nasty dirty. (Need a rubber mallet and beat the hell out of it - LOL). Certainly not easy like my Glock 26.

On the Mark III, I added the Williams Fiber Optic sights which made a 200% improvement in accuracy as compared to stock adjustable sights which were black and hard to see especially indoors.

Then I got the bright idea to add Voltrane grips.

When the grips came in I read the “easy” instructions and began…

Day 1

The grip were the easy part. Because the factory bolt lock release needed to be replace with an extended release, I did the field strip and then removed the hammer, sear, and magazine safety assembly. Oops, darn – parts went a flying! Crap. Hands and knees looking for very small parts and springs. A FOD Walk in my office… Two hours later and successful, I started watching some You Tubes about reassembly.

It was then I found out that I could remove the magazine (firing) safety by removing two parts and substituting three washers. Needed to go to Home Depot next day for parts.

Day 2

Couldn’t find the exact washers specified on You Tube but got close.

Because of the washers overhanging the sear and not wanting a full auto pistol, I began filing the three washers to custom fit. A few hours later, I finished and tried reassembling the hammer/sear. The You Tubes were crap as they didn’t show how the sear positioned and I didn’t see it exactly when I took it apart as I was trying to catch flying parts.

I tried several different positions and had to fully reassemble the pistol to test firing. None worked. Blah. Over 60+ years of frustrations, I have learned when it is time to walk away. Was thinking to myself of finding a local gunsmith or sending the damn thing back to Ruger but then because of the illicit magazine safety modification decided Ruger factory wasn’t a good option. Numbed my mind with a bit of Chivas Regal.

Day 3

Got up early, grabbed my diet Dr. Pepper and dove in again. As I was doing the hammer/sear assembly, my fingers slipped and parts went flying again. Crap in a bed……… Back to the FOD Walk. Found two of three washers and the other parts. Had to make another %&#% custom fit washer. Finally located a magnifying glass I hadn’t seen since we moved 2 ½ years ago. Being able to see, I finally noodled out how the sear positioned with respect to the hammer and put the beast back together. YIPPEE – bolt worked, trigger worked, magazine release worked.

Off to outdoor range. On 50” range, I was putting most shots within a tea cup of bulls eye. I shot about 300 rounds of .22 shells.

I also shot 100 rounds of 9mm through my Glock 26 (my CCW weapon). Grouping a 50’ was paper plate size. I usually shoot a 3m and 7m with the Glock. 50’ is a bit long.

5” barrel on Mark III vs. 2” barrel on Glock.

Love shooting both!!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-03-2012, 02:25 AM   #2

Welcome to the MKIII world. Steep learning curve learning to reassemble the dam thing, but after a few times you will be doing it at the range with out a problem. I decided to take mine apart and do a quick cleaning before my shooting buddy was suppose to pick me up to go shooting. I managed to finish putting it reassembled as he opened the door to the house. Not smart on my part but part of the learning curve. Lots of good U-tube videos on the net to help you out. Love mine when I can get it away form the wife. She thinks it's her's now that I put a red dot sight on it.

How long did you walk the Flight Line? I had my fair share of FOD Walks too. Still sucks! Have fun!

"A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown"

Old 04-03-2012, 02:32 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 427

those guns when new are very very tight. as you use it and take it apart it will breakin a bit and become more and more easy to get the receiver off the frame. eventually you wont need any tools to take it down.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-03-2012, 03:24 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armedacadian
Welcome to the MKIII world. Steep learning curve learning to reassemble the dam thing, but after a few times you will be doing it at the range with out a problem. I decided to take mine apart and do a quick cleaning before my shooting buddy was suppose to pick me up to go shooting. I managed to finish putting it reassembled as he opened the door to the house. Not smart on my part but part of the learning curve. Lots of good U-tube videos on the net to help you out. Love mine when I can get it away form the wife. She thinks it's her's now that I put a red dot sight on it.

How long did you walk the Flight Line? I had my fair share of FOD Walks too. Still sucks! Have fun!
Thanks.

~ 6 years of FOD walk-downs as NFO. You?

Texas Damnit
2nd Place Medalist - SE Asia War Games (1971-72)

Old 04-03-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7787 Times on 4675 Posts
Likes Given: 9771

Oh, mygod. This thread brings back memories. I can take my Mark II down with very little problem anymore. My hands aren't very strong and I still need the rubber mallet but a light tap is all it takes. I think my Mark II might just be my favorite gun.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/yes-i-am-now-one-those-45994/

Old 04-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #6

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Glad everything worked out for ya. But, I have one question what is "FOD"?

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 04-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #7

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

The Mark III definitely is harder to break down than the Mark II but now that you disabled the mag safety that evens it up.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

FOD (rhymes with odd) is foreign object damage- junk that can get sucked into the intake of a jet engine, allowing a 1 cent bit of crap to detroy a $900,000 engine.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #9

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
FOD (rhymes with odd) is foreign object damage- junk that can get sucked into the intake of a jet engine, allowing a 1 cent bit of crap to detroy a $900,000 engine.
Ahh, got it. Thanks!

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 04-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1011 Times on 608 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Now you need to install the MK II trigger kit with the Mk II hammer bushing

During the installation, I took mine apart so many times, it almost easy now!