Ruger Mark II/III?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Mark II/III?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default Ruger Mark II/III?

have my eye on buying another pistol. the one i am interested in is the ruger mark II or mark III. any suggestions on what a reasonable price would be for one use? and what is the difference between the mark II and III? another question, would the browning buckmark be a better pistol? and what would the reasonable price be for one of those?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7317 Times on 4401 Posts
Likes Given: 8975

I would definitely recommend a Mark II. I bought a used one at a very good price from a friend and I am very happy with it. The Mark III has some features that others don't seem to like very much and I'm not 100% familiar with them so I will let someone more knowledgable than I explain them to you.

Some complain about field stripping but I am very new to guns and I have no problem field stripping it for cleaning. But let me just say, if you AREN'T very familiar with semi-autos, don't mess with the internals. It took me a month of blood, sweat and tears to put mine back together when I tried to replace the thumb piece for the bolt hold. I think I could do it now in an hour or so, but it was a darned tough learning process.

Get yourself a Mark II or a Mark III and have great fun with a very accurate and reliable .22 pistol.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I would definitely recommend a Mark II. I bought a used one at a very good price from a friend and I am very happy with it. The Mark III has some features that others don't seem to like very much and I'm not 100% familiar with them so I will let someone more knowledgable than I explain them to you.

Some complain about field stripping but I am very new to guns and I have no problem field stripping it for cleaning. But let me just say, if you AREN'T very familiar with semi-autos, don't mess with the internals. It took me a month of blood, sweat and tears to put mine back together when I tried to replace the thumb piece for the bolt hold. I think I could do it now in an hour or so, but it was a darned tough learning process.

Get yourself a Mark II or a Mark III and have great fun with a very accurate and reliable .22 pistol.
thanks for the input, WOC. i have shot some of the older Ruger Mark I i believe is the one. i enjoyed it. just wondering, what are the differences in the mark II and the III? just out of curiosity, what did you have to pay for yours?

Old 09-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
thanks for the input, WOC. i have shot some of the older Ruger Mark I i believe is the one. i enjoyed it. just wondering, what are the differences in the mark II and the III? just out of curiosity, what did you have to pay for yours?
Well, I basically stole mine from a friend, I am told. I paid $250 for an absolutely perfect and beautiful Mark II Competition Target model. The guy I bought it from knows his guns well and took excellent care of this gun. Slab Side bull barrel, stainless steel. It came with 5 magazines, original box, paperwork, etc. and a red dot sort of scope with rings and an extra set of grips. My friend sold it because he had bought himself a Mark III with a threaded barrel which he put a suppressor on. Basically, he found himself a better toy. I am THRILLED with my new toy!!

The differences I could tell you (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) is the mag release on the II is at the bottom of the grip where the mag enters, on the Mark III it's behind the trigger.

The Mark III has a loaded chamber indicator on it. It also has a magazine disconnect which prevents the gun from firing if the magazine is not in place. (Always remember to remove the mag AND clear the chamber.)

There may be other differences but those are the ones I know of. I really wanted a Mark II but I was going to buy a Mark III because I thought I wouldn't be able to find a Mark II but a wonderful member here on this forum had the Mark II sitting at the back of his safe that he never shot anymore and offered it to me. I am eternally grateful to him.

Also, everyone says the Mark's are difficult to field strip and clean. I was shown how to do it a couple times when I bought the gun and later took it when I went shooting with the guy I bought it from. I do not find the gun difficult to field strip and clean at all. Maybe because I have very little gun experience and this is my first semi-auto so I have no preconceived notion or any other experience to know if this one is difficult or not. I have nothing to compare it to. The manual has pretty clear step by step directions on how to field strip it and there are many good videos of the process on Youtube. The only trouble I have had is when I went to put a new thumb piece bolt hold on to accompany some new grips I had bought for it. When I pulled that pin out that holds the thumb piece, safety, hammer and lever for the trigger...........springs flew and it took me a month of trying off and on to get the internals back together right. But it certainly wasn't the guns fault. My fault for thinking I could do this little project with ease. Hahaha. But now that I've done it (and I learn so well through trial and error, hence my signature) I think I could put those same pieces back together correctly in a very timely fashion. Like in an hour or two now that I know how it goes and the tricks of holding those pieces in place while I work. (Some well placed pieces of clear tape can work wonders.)

I hope I helped. Others who know more will be along shortly.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 09-21-2011 at 03:58 PM.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #5

I really enjoy shooting my mkiii target. I paid somewhere between $450 and $500 new. The feature I don't like is the chamber loaded indicator. It makes it harder to clean and does not really add any value to me.

That said, fun gun.

No matter what .22lr target pistol you buy, buy one of these:

Mcfadden Machine Company Incorporated Clip Loader

Because it really does work just like this:

Old 09-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #6

Liked 1027 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

Excellent advice from winds-of-change and Barry. (And I agree you've got to get that Ultimate Cliploader thingie - amazing! After 30 years of loading mags manually I had a big smile after trying it the first time.)

I like the Mark II better, too - and have all three, the Mark I, Mark II and Mark III. The main advantages of the Mark III are that you can buy one new, configured exactly the way you want - and the receiver is tapped for an optics mount. Few of the earlier versions are ready for a mount.

ETA:
And I guess the Mark III with the LCI and magazine safety is a "safer" gun for the novice. Otherwise my Mark II is the best of the three. I have noticed the LCI makes the Mark III more fussy with ammo, i.e. less reliable.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 09-21-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #7

I have 2 mark ii's, i have shot all 3 versions and really enjoy the mark ii the most. I didnt plan on having 2 but i came across a competition target in stainless at a gun show and couldnt walk away without it

Old 09-22-2011, 04:03 AM   #8

thanks guys, all you have given me lots of good information on this and is much appreciated. i guess if i can't find a mark II, i will get my gunshop to order me a new mark III. looks like the MSRP ranges from about 370-685 for a new one based on finish and features on the ruger website. might get lucky at the next gunshow and find one.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:55 AM   #9

Liked 1027 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

Well you might call gun shops around town. Never know who could have a Mark II in stock.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:11 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I agree with Quentin. If you really want a Mark II, I think you'd be able to find one.