Ruger LCP-not your grandmaws pocket pistol
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger LCP-not your grandmaws pocket pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Ruger LCP-not your grandmaws pocket pistol

Everybody here KNOWS I'm a dyed in the wool .45acp and 1911 platform man. So while I still DON'T consider ANY .380 enough gun for PRIMARY carry gun, the .380 is an perfect backup gun to my carry gun, especially with the new ammo recently brought out for it (Hornady Critical Defense seeming the best from the limited testing we've done). Having had a couple Ruger LCPs in the shop, my wife happened to see them and wanted 1. Naturally I ordered her 1 right away. Well, I broke down and got 1 for myself soon after. So far, I'm extremely impressed with the tiny lil Ruger LCP. Ruger seems to have addressed some of the issues of Kel-Tecs such as reliability/quality problems, while still retaining the exact same size. So far, we've ran about 600 rounds collectively through them without the 1st malfunction of any kind. Another thing that suprized me is their accuracy. They're not meant to win a match, but at 7 yards, it's easy to keep all shots inside 3"-even rapid fire groups stay well within the vital zone.

The need for a small light 2nd gun was brought to my attention a several years ago in an altercation where if it hadn't been for my wife having her carry gun on her person, I MAY not be here now. I had forgotten the 1st MAIN rule to winning a gunfight-HAVING a gun. Sure I had a good carry gun out in the car, but it was hard to conceal in summer so I left it in the car while we were in resturant. Back then if it wasn't an full size 1911,I wouldn't carry it. I swore right then to NEVER again be without a carry gun. Since then, not only have my main carry guns shrank, they've also became lighter-they went on an serious diet. It makes no sense to me to carry a gun that's so heavy/bulky that I'm tempted to leave it in car or at home. The Ruger LCP is so light, tiny, and easy to conceal, I pack it in my pocket just like keys, billfold, and pocket knife ALWAYS. I still carry a 3" barreled .45, but now I have the extra confidence of having a backup gun-JUST IN CASE. After all, if we could choose the time/place we HAD to defend ourselves, we wouldn't be there in the 1st place.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Do you have any information for the people out there that are wondering about the LCP recall status?

I know they are working on fixing the problem with the LCPs, but it seems everywhere these things are on back order due to the extreme demand for these little pocket sidearms.

I am also looking to purchase one soon. I plan on purchasing a Ruger P345 and a Ruger LCP to go along with it.

One more question. How's the DA trigger pull on the LCP? Is it about on par with the Kel-Tec or a little smoother?

Old 12-30-2008, 06:08 PM   #3

The trigger is on a par with the Kel-tec-heavy with noticable stackup, but smooth. As to the recall status I'm registered but havn't recieved the shipping box/instructions yet. The Kel-tec and Ruger both feature the exact same basic design "flaw" if you will, but only Ruger is big enough to admit there's a potential problem and willing to do anything about it. BEFORE you Kel-tec owners get out the rope for me-I HAVE compared both side by side-INSIDE and outside, as well as disassembly of both, and Kel-tec has the same reason for recall as Ruger is offering.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:47 AM   #4

Stalking Bear,

I'm a 1911 guy too. I bought my LCP with the intention of being able to ALWAYS have it with me where legal. I had a minor issue feeding a couple types of JHPs. I did a very minor polish and now it eats everything. I probably have ~1200 rounds through it. Mine shoots great too, even better after Ruger's recall work.

As for recall status. I filled out the online form the 1st of Nov. and got my box the 15th of Dec. One week later, new hat, new mag and repaired gun. Quick as could be expected and very polite to group to deal with.

Not a great primary gun, but far better than a pointy stick and quick wit.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #5

Default exact same basic design "flaw"

Just wondering what is the design flaw that the Keltecs share... You mentioned a new mag, but no details on the gun itself.... I only have about 250 rounds though the PF9...Zero failures so far, but I just received my DT 9mm ammo to try.
I bought it for the same reason you did, but for me 9mm+P is the minimum I will trust... Details please?

Last edited by itruns; 02-08-2009 at 10:27 PM.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:19 AM   #6

The design flaw Kel-Tecs share with 1st generation Ruger LCPs is if they are dropped, they MAY discharge if dropped exactly right angle/position. This pertains to the .32,and .380 models that I know of.

My Ruger LCP .380 is my backup gun to my "pocket" sized .45 ONLY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itruns View Post
Just wondering what is the design flaw that the Keltecs share... You mentioned a new mag, but no details on the gun itself.... I only have about 250 rounds though the PF9...Zero failures so far, but I just received my DT 9mm ammo to try.
I bought it for the same reason you did, but for me 9mm+P is the minimum I will trust... Details please?

Old 02-14-2009, 04:29 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default My grammah carries one but

Shes got little hands and perfers it over my carry which fits my fat hands nicely

Old 02-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #8

The Kel-Tec P-3AT did in fact have the same hammer-block issue as the first run of Ruger LCPs. The difference is that Ruger decided to issue a very expensive recall in the interest of correcting a "potential" safety issue, and Kel-Tec just made an in-line change to their manufacturing process... Leaving all affected P-3ATs on the street and no recourse for customers.

The part that really bugs me is that so many people will smear the reputation of Ruger for doing the right thing, and even go out of their way to defend the honor of Kel-Tec. It makes not sense to me.

Before you flame me with the whole Ruger copied Kel-Tec argument, just remember that Kel-Tec had no real or intellectual property to copy.

Here is the sum total of enforceable patents held by Kel-Tec...

Kel-Tec CNC Industries patents:
1 D527,788 Foldable bayonet
2 6,928,764 Grip extender for handgun

Ruger currently holds around 100 enforcable patents

My old P-3AT collects dust in a sock drawer, while I never leave the house without my LCP.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Old 02-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #9

Oops! Double post.

Hmmm... Maybe I could take this opportunity to flame myself!

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Last edited by gglass; 02-18-2009 at 06:25 PM.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'd buy one if they were legal in MA. They seem like nice little pocket pistols.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!