is the ruger lcp. 380 a good gun to buy
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

is the ruger lcp. 380 a good gun to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default is the ruger lcp. 380 a good gun to buy

I'm looking in to getting a ruger lcp for CC and I don't no if its a good gun for that or idk anyone know of any .357 revolvers

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #2

Liked 414 Times on 228 Posts

I have a Ruger LCR .357 mag I bought a few weeks ago I really like it it's a little bigger than a j frame but it's a good feeling gun. I looked at the lcp .380 and it was nice but I wanted more power and I love the reliability of a wheel gun. Don't get me wrong I love my xdm and 1911 but they are a little big to daily carry.

play the victim, be the victim

Old 11-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Somewhere in the neighborhood of a million people have been buying LCP's since they came out... I assume mostly for carry... So, yeah, they're good for that. It'd be a good idea to shoot one before you buy if you can though... like, borrow a buddy's, rent at a range... 'cause they're kinda "snappy" to shoot.

.380 in SUCH a tiny light gun isn't built for a lot of range shooting. It's intended for easy comfortable carry by those who just want enough to get by for self-defense.

I love mine and carry it about 1/2 the time... (I always carry it IWB with a 10-rd. ProMag.)

I also have a Ruger SP101 .357 (see the pic over there <---- )and like it a lot but hardly ever CARRY it because I prefer lighter guns for carry.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:52 AM   #4

I've got several ccw guns. My LCP is the one I carry if I'm in shorts and flipflops. If you want a gun with moderate stopping power, but is extremely easy to carry, the LCP is a very good choice. It is small and light. Easily carried in a pocket. I would recommend a Crimson Trace for the LCP, as they really don't have sights.
Personally, I am a little uncomfortable with a .380s stopping power, but when it is miserably hot outside, I am just not willing to wear extra clothing so I can carry a Colt or Sig. A gun of any caliber is better than no gun.
My LCP eats any ammo, and is fairly accurate for a mouse gun. It is not a pleasure to shoot, as I am a big guy and the grips are tiny for my big paws.
I would not hesitate to have my wife or daughter carry an LCP.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_Richey View Post
Lasers are stupid.

I have a Ruger LCP. Nice little gun that is easy to conceal. But, it is not fun to shoot IMO. Very snappy in hand. And, because of this ... I shoot it seldom and only half a box of ammo at a time.

My concerns with carrying a gun that you don't shoot often ... or, enjoy shooting ... is that you will not practice enough to be good at using it.

I try to shoot at the range when no one is around. I can then simulate a situation, or move, draw and shoot ... that is not allowed when folks are at the range, of course. This practice allows me to at least attempt 'real life' situations at 10-15 feet.

I don't carry the LCP much. I prefer to carry a Bersa Thunder 380. A bit larger gun, but much easier to fire ... less snappy, more rounds, 'real sights' (altho not needed for CC IMO). But, it won't fit in the pocket of your shorts easily. The LCP will.

Also, I think if you carry a gun the size of the LCP ... laser sites are a must. If you don't practice both eyes open point and shoot .. and are good at it ... a laser site will help you a great deal.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:12 AM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2879 Times on 1580 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Shoot one before you buy one. They are not pleasant. Neither is the P3AT by Kel-tec. I looked at most of the others and traded my P3AT in on a Sig P238 which is a pleasure to shoot and accurate. It will also handle flat nose bullets which some balk at. More money but worth it.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

It's a great gun to buy. Just shot a perfect score with mine on our qualification course. Soooooo easy to carry. One of my favorites.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:33 AM   #8

Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts

For my two cents I would look long and hard at the Ruger LC9. It is very simillar but with the added stopping power provided by the 9mm chambering. It is only a tad bigger so it would still be an excellent gun as far as concealability and it uses a round I feel confident would provide good defensive power...

Old 11-07-2011, 02:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_Richey View Post
Lasers are stupid.
If you have EVER handled an LCP, you will know, you are just point shooting.
Any point of reference is better than point shooting.

Macho statements are just that. If I ever need to fire my LCP at a live target, I will be happy to have a little red dot to guide me, especially with a weapon whose barrel is shorter than my pinky.

The LCP is still a very good mouse gun.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #10

Liked 130 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Good gun to buy but very snappy to shoot...I like mine.....That's all that mater's to me....Check one out....