Ruger LCP and .380 ammo - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger LCP and .380 ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 13

if your not satisfied with the trigger on the ruger check into a keltec, i have both and the trigger on the keltec is not as long,

Old 03-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #12

Default Ruger LCP

Jesse17: Sir, I realize different parts of the country prices are sometimes a wide span.

Ruger LCP in and around the Charlotte, NC, SC, Tenn. $289.00 as a median

They were as much? $389, things have calmed lots.

Yes, fwiw, I have one, Saw them priced at the last gunshows, at one gunshop. Shop around if you can

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 03-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just stopped at both my local gun shops. It was $319 at one and and $329 at the other, and that's with only 1 mag. I've seen $289 online with free shipping, but that's gonna be just as high after the dealers transfer fee.

I don't think I'll find a better deal than Cabelas.

The one thing stopping me now is the gun. It seemed pretty clumsy to me, but I guess that's what $300 buys. Is the barrel suppose to wiggle around when the slide is in the rear position?

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 03-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #14

Liked 1420 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmarine View Post
I own a lcp and they are a joke.
My daughter has a Elsie Pea and I hate to shoot it for two reasons.

1. The color.

2. The recoil. It's a great little gun, just not fun to shoot.

I shot utf59's Walther PPK/S and if I'm ever in the market for a .380, that's the one I'll get.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
Is the barrel suppose to wiggle around when the slide is in the rear position?
Yep... Standard for this type of auto action.

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Old 03-04-2011, 11:27 PM   #16

I only use fmj ammo in my ruger lcp. no matter how much hollow point ammo talks about how it is self defense the caliber has to be at least 9mm. I got all fmjs now it my magazines accept for a promag 10 round because its the only ammo I have that works right.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:33 AM   #17

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

For defensive rounds I use Hornaday Critical Defense in my Kel-Tec which is essentially the same gun. For range ammo I just stick with good brands. Avoid using any +P rounds in it. Also, I would be wary about reloads.

I also don't advocate carrying it with FMJ. You want to make sure the bullet stops inside the BD. The last thing you want is a through and through hitting an innocent person. You should have NO penetration issues at 12 yards.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
I also don't advocate carrying it with FMJ. You want to make sure the bullet stops inside the BD. The last thing you want is a through and through hitting an innocent person. You should have NO penetration issues at 12 yards.
From watching the Hornady's video for their Critical Defense Ammo it looks like the problem with HP clogging is just the opposite of not getting enough penetration. When they clog they don't expand and they act just like FMJ and over penetrate. I think I'm pretty much sold on Hornady's Critical Defense ammo for whatever CCW I end up with.

After playing with the LCP I don't know if it's the one for me. I would love to get something that size, but it seems so darn cheaply made. I'm still leaning toward it, but I want to play with the Bersa Ultra Compact .45ACP first, as well as fondle any similar guns at the shop.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 03-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #19

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
From watching the Hornady's video for their Critical Defense Ammo it looks like the problem with HP clogging is just the opposite of not getting enough penetration. When they clog they don't expand and they act just like FMJ and over penetrate. I think I'm pretty much sold on Hornady's Critical Defense ammo for whatever CCW I end up with.

After playing with the LCP I don't know if it's the one for me. I would love to get something that size, but it seems so darn cheaply made. I'm still leaning toward it, but I want to play with the Bersa Ultra Compact .45ACP first, as well as fondle any similar guns at the shop.
I can understand that. You really do get what you pay for. My dad has an LCP and I don't care for it. I have a Kel-Tec P3AT which has a lot of short comings. But I can't really complain considering what I paid for it. However, I would say that I feel it's a better built gun than the LCP.

That being said, I recently bought a Kahr P380 to replace it. I would highly suggest it if you want something in that size. It's twice the price of an LCP or P3AT but it is really twice the gun. If you want a slightly larger caliber take a look at the PM9 from Kahr. It's not that much bigger than the P380. I almost wish I had gotten one of those instead.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Well, I took the plung. The wife called and said Cabelas was having a 4 hr. sale today. So I called them and got the LCP with 2 mags and a pocket holster for $309. I think that was a good deal.

I guess I'll give it the ol 500 rd tryout before I decide if I like the gun or not.

Now it's gonna kill me all week waiting for a day off to go pick it up.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!