Ruger LCP and .380 ammo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger LCP and .380 ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 12:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Ruger LCP and .380 ammo

OK, I think I've decided to go with the Ruger LCP for my next gun, which will be my CCW, at least to start with. I just have a couple more question...

Is the LCP a simi-auto, in that once I rack it all I have to do is touch the trigger, or is it a stiff trigger double action?

About about .380 ammo...I have no experience with the caliber. I actually vowed to never own one, but I've decided that a pop-gun in my pocket always is better than a cannon left in the car. So I'm wondering what y'all would recommend. I want to buy bulk, and use the same thing at the range as I carry with, so the cheapest RELIABLE brand is what I'll be using (until I get my reloading stuff out of storage) but I'm wondering about penetration.

I think for feeding reliability and expansion I would go with SJHP, but I'm wondering about the low power round penetrating winter clothing. Would FMJ be better?

I hate the idea of using FMJ and just punching a little hole in a bad guy, but on the other hand I hate the idea of using a HP and having it clog up with winter coat before it gets to the bad guy.

What do you guys recommend? Also, any pros or cons about the LCP would be appreciated. Cabelas has LCP w/2 mags and holster for $349 right now, so I'm thinking I should jump on it.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-04-2011, 12:44 AM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2130 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 770

I'd first recommend that you put your hands on one. I assume that your question about the trigger means you haven't played with the trigger.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 03-04-2011, 12:49 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I'd first recommend that you put your hands on one. I assume that your question about the trigger means you haven't played with the trigger.
So...you're saying you don't know the answer, but wanted to post??

Thank you for that, whatever that was.

I kind of intended to handle it before I buy it, but usually have an item pretty much picked out before going to the store...this little miracle called the internet ya know.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 03-04-2011, 12:59 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

It is a semi-auto. You load a magazine, insert the magazine, and rack the slide to chamber a round. Now you press the trigger until the slide locks back.

How about mixing what you carry?

Old 03-04-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2130 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 770

Yes I know. It's a long DA trigger pull. Now go play with it and see what you think.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 03-04-2011, 01:19 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
How about mixing what you carry?
That's an idea, but I'm trying to avoid it. I'm starting to get so many different types of ammo around here that it's hard to keep straight.

It's an option though, that's what I do now with the 38 I carry while geocaching. I load # 1 and 3 with bird shot, 2, 4, & 5 with SWC. I figure that way I'm good to go if I run into snake, cat, or bad guy. But, with a daily carry I think I want to just keep it simpler and stick to one general purpose round.

Scott, sorry if I snapped at you. I wanted to do some shooting today but spent the whole day doing other chores. That combined with 11 days without a cigarette and I'm a little on edge.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 03-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a Ruger LCP and keep it loaded with Hornady Critical Defense factory ammo. You don't have to worry about clothing stopping up the hollow point with Critical Defense. I plink with whatever brand FMJ I can find cheap as I don't reload for .380. As to the LCP trigger, you'll easily get used to it as you practice.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-04-2011, 02:05 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5646 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

im a big bersa thunder fan. might look at those. they feel better than the ruger to me. i user corbon powerball ammo atm but im not convinced its as good as claimed. however it was the only defense ammo in 380 last time i bought some :/

my pref is the heaviest bullet that will function in my defensive guns.

as for the ruger i havent personally fired one they are far too small for me to feel comfy with. i find the controls very small and hard to manipulate.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #9

I own a lcp and they are a joke. I would look at a tarus slim they are small and can get in 9mil or 40. they shot good and easy to carry

Old 03-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

FWIW, I'm in the "FMJ in .380 for SD" camp. Love my reliable little LCP. I've said it before and'll probably say it again... I really like the 10-rd. ProMag on my LCP... and carry it that way (IWB with an untucked shirt or jacket). That thin mag provides a nice handle. The 4 extra rounds makes me feel considerably better about packing a .380... I just gave it another nice workout at the range 3 days ago... flawless... surprisingly accurate for it's size despite the fact it's sights are minimal. Yeah, I carry 9 & .45 & .357 sometimes but when I feel like easy and light, Elsie is a great go-to IMHO. It is what it is.

PS: One little con to know about is that the slide doesn't lock back after the last round is fired (like most autos do). This doesn't bother me, I just mention it.

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Last edited by Alchemist; 03-04-2011 at 07:19 PM.