Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger LC9 extractor problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 02:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Ruger LC9 extractor problem?

On another forum several people posted that their LC9's had blown the extractor off. Has anyone on this forum heard of that problem? I have been considering buying one but if there is a design problem, I would want to wait until Ruger fixes it.

I have several Rugers - two Blackhawks, a Single Six, a 10/22, a P89, a P97, a MK II, and an LCP. I am very happy with all of them. I have had no problems with any of them.

Has Ruger's quality contol slipped lately?

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #2

Hmmm, interesting. I have an LC9 and haven't had any problems with it. Though I don't use +P ammunition. According to what you have read, has anyone mentioned what kind of ammo was being used? Not that it should matter, the LC9 is +P rated.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Most said they were shooting factory ammo. Some might have been +P. One said he was shooting reloads.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:20 AM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

I picked up my new LC9 last Friday (2/24/12). Today was the first day at the range - it made it through 14 rounds of Federal factory 9mm before it started having failures to eject. Spent brass was left completely in the chamber (as if the extractor had not hooked onto it at all) with the next round trying to load in on top of it. I cleared several of those thinking it might just need a bit of break-in....then it broke. After about 40-50 rounds the extractor, extractor spring and extractor plunger blew out of the pistol. Couldn't find any of the parts as it was an indoor range that was fairly busy and the parts went somewhere downrange after bouncing off the wall of my shooting lane. The only ammo used was Federal 115gr FMJ RN, 1125 fps, 323 ft-lbs (by no means a smoking hot load).

I have spent the last couple hours reading dozens of LC9 extractor failures on various forums which are virtually identical the one I posted above (which was how I came across this thread). I'm calling Ruger in the morning for repair/return info.

Interesting note: go to Brownell's, MidwayUSA or even Ruger's online site for pistol parts and try to find a replacement extractor for the LC9 -- none of the above have them in stock for some reason.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:24 AM   #5
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 793 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 373

I have run 2oo rounds through mine a mix of 115/124/ 147 and some +P with no issues at all.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:34 AM   #6

It definitely does not seem to be all of the LC9s but if the number of the posts on the various firearms forums count for anything (along with my LC9 that didn't last long enough to warm up my trigger finger), there are a lot of them that have extractor problems. Google "Ruger LC9 extractor problems" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

A few snips:
"I liked my LC9 for the first 17 rounds..that's when the whole extractor assembly flew out of the gun. Sent it to Ruger 2 days ago."

"Using WWB FMJ on about the 18th round there was a failure to extract. It did this sporadically for 7 or 8 more rounds and then became continuous. Upon closer inspection I saw that the entire extractor assembly was gone. I searched the floor for the parts and could only find the extractor."

"However, after shooting about 50 rounds it started to not properly eject fired rounds. They would just stay in the ejection port. This would happen about twice a clip."

"I was shooting my fathers new LC9 for the first time last week and I experienced what i call a significant failure. The extractor, extractor spring and a pin that appears to hold it all together were blown out of the gun. I fired the pistol and was struck in the face in several places by "shrapnel" which turned out to be these parts. I have never experienced such a failure with any other handgun and to be quite honest it was a little disturbing. This gun has fired less than 50 rounds at this point. When I looked at the gun there was a spent casing in the chamber and it was trying to chamber a second round."

^If you go through the Google search results, you will find all of the above and several more along the same lines. Something is funky with some of the LC9s.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:45 AM   #7

I just won a lc9 at a DU event tonight!! I own several Rugers and love them all.... I have to wait a few days to pick it up but what's up with this extractor problem? Does anyone else have this problem? Any other issues? Should I return it and get some thing else? Time to start doing my home work, thank god for the Internet.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:21 AM   #8

I would definitely take it out and run at least a couple hundred rounds through it before relying on it for concealed carry purposes. I have to admit I was a bit shocked by my LC9 as it is the first Ruger that has just flat out failed on me and I have had a ton of Ruger pistols. Whenever I get it back from Ruger (average seems to be around 10 days), it is going to get a fairly harsh torture test before I put it back into the concealed carry rotation.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #9

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Interesting info here, I was looking at the LC9 as a new BUG. Think I am going to wait to see what happens here.

With all of the manufacturers trying to cash in on the Gun rush, quality and manufacturing techniques may be compromised to meet production schedules. I have seen it in almost every other industry so why expect less of the firearm industry.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #10

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

I bought mine back in Nov, and have had no issues with it I have run alot of ammo thru it including SD rounds , no jams , no FTF, no FTE, Guess I got a good one