Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Ruger Charger (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/ruger-charger-14784/)

Yunus 06-14-2009 11:06 PM

Ruger Charger

I'll post a range report when I remember to take a camera with me.

I purchased the Ruger charger to fill a need of a semi-auto .22 that I was lacking. It meets that need quite well. The Charger is a 10/22 action with a medium heavy 10" barrel and pistol style stock. It is hard to fit the Charger into a category, it is not a pistol as it is to heavy to be compared to most other semi-auto .22LR pistols available and its not a rifle either and its smaller and shorter than any other .22 rifles out there. Maryland defines it as a pistol though.

I have found it to be a very fun plinking piece. I paired it with a Bushnell 2X-6X variable pistol scope. I found the accuracy to be very good at up to 60 yards, I was shooting well 1" groups at that range with cheap .22 bullets (have not had a chance to go further with it). I won't go into detail on the action since its simply a 10/22 and there are millions of reviews of those. The stock fits nicely in your hand and is light enough to hit 1MOA at 50 yards with a 1lb scope on top but after 5 or 6 shots, I started to feel the weight and lost some accuracy shooting freehand. Luckily the Charger comes out of the box with a bi-pod which is fantastic. Assuming you have a bench or table to rest the gun shooting with a bi-pod provides rifle like accuracy with a 10" barrel gun. I don't know that I will be keeping the pistol scope however. Due to the weight of the gun with scope, holding it with 1 hand arm extended doesn't work very well. Being that it's a .22 I feel a rifle scope might pair with this gun better and using 2 hands and holding it close to the eye, there will be little worry of getting bit by the scope with .22 kickback being minimal.

Pros:
Accurate,
Fun to shoot,
somewhat unique design (not original but not common),
can fill a a spot in your collection as a pistol or rifle,
Reliable 10/22 action with lots of accessories available.

Cons:
Price ($350 out the door for me) not the most expensive but you could also get a 10/22 rifle from wal-mart for about half that.
It's not a pistol or a rifle. If you are looking for one or the other specifically, look elsewhere. While its fun to shoot it is not as comfortable as a rifle or light as a pistol.

Overall I am happy with the purchase, the only change might be trying an inexpensive 3-9X nikon rifle scope on it and see which I like better (pistol or rifle scope). I would consider a red-dot but they are less accurate than this gun at 60 yards and beyond so I feel I would be limiting myself.

Any questions I would be happy to answer.

Hey mods, I think I should have posted this in the .22 section. Can 1 of you be kind enough to move it if you agree. Thanks!

hunter Joe 06-15-2009 01:44 AM

We have two at the shop and was wondering how they preform at 100 yards. Please keep the updates coming. I really didn't have any solid answers for the customers until now.
Thanks, Joe