Round 2 at the range..suggestions?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Round 2 at the range..suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 02:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Round 2 at the range..suggestions?

I started another thread about giving revolvers a second chance. Planning the next range outing for this weekend. Any suggestions for gun rentals. They have about 85 different models...some I want to try they do not have.

Tried these revolvers.
S&W 38 J frame snub nose (forget model)...fail
S&W 357 model 60 with 3 inch barrel and CT...pass but kinda big
Ruger LCR...fail

Will try Ruger SP101
anything else that is kind of small?

Tried these pistols.
Glock 26...pass
Glock 27...pass
S&W M&P40...pass but kinda big
S&W M&P (i think) 10mm...pass but kinda big

I want small small small but no smaller than 9mm
A Kahr MK9 sounds perfect but they do not have one to try. What do you guys think of them?

This is what I am coming up with.
M&P 9 compact?
M&P 40 Compact?
Sigma?
The new to come out S&W SD?
Springfield XD?
Sig???
CZ???

I need some suggestions because they might not have all the guns I want to try.

Just some background info...I do not have a flat screen HD TV yet (plasma) and it barely bothers me. I do not drive a BMW or Audi. No offense to those that do. I just have no desire. I am a mechanic and when I buy my work tools I buy the good stuff. Snap-on, Mac, Matco etc. I have no need for show and it does not have to be sexy. I just want a really good quality tool that will not let me down.
Thanks, Brian.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-24-2010, 02:27 AM   #2

Liked 1420 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

The King of Nines.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-24-2010, 06:26 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

My CZ75b is the best performing 9mm I have ever had the opportunity to shoot.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:10 AM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I had a Kahr MK9 for a time and it's a good size for a pocket gun but it's also heavy as it's all steel. The PM9 is the same size but with a poly frame. Kahr makes a nice gun but they are pricey. For an all-around gun, you probably need to focus on something between pocket sized and full sized. None of the teeny pocket sized guns are fun to shoot and a full size is more difficult to conceal.

There are quite a few to fit the bill. I know some folks swear by the Glock 19 as being the ideal size for a general purpose gun. I'm not a Glock guy but one other in that general size is a Sig P239. I just picked one up Saturday and it's a great all-around gun. Big enough to shoot well, small enough to be easy to conceal. Another choice is the next size up in a Kahr - the P9 (or K9 if you want an all steel gun). The first pic is a Sig P239, the second is my P9 next to an XD9 Service...

img_p239-x.jpg   xd-kahr-x.jpg  

Old 05-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2971 Times on 1714 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

I agree with NGIB, The Kahrs should be looked at. A co-worker has an XD compact in .40 and loves it. I too, am not a Glock person (it's nothing with the gun, but my trigger finger "slides" on the trigger guard, and makes for a painful outing). Too bad the Heckler Koch PSP P7 is no longer in production.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #6

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

One I have not seen mentioned is the FNP's. Admittedly I am not a big poly fan but I do like those. I have a Browning Pro 40 (only poly pistol I still own) that's for the most part the same weapon. THey have the FNX's out now too. I've not held one of those yet so I can't say much about them. The thing I like about the FNP over others like a Glock,XD, or M&P (All fine weapons) is it has a hammer. Call me old fashioned but I liking having a "regular" hammer over something striker fired. If memory serves they are iving away some goodies with the pistols but I"m not exactly sure what. being you can shoot both DA/SA for me is a plus. And they have a safety and decock. Changeable back straps allow for more of a chance for a good fit to the hand too. They are chambered in 9mm, 40, and 45ACP.

I'm not trying to sound like a fanboy or anything. I just have not seen anyone mention them and thought I'd put that out there. They are pretty good shooters. Even without the much hallowed lower bore axis that I hear about when talking about the striker fired weapons. Recoil is more manageable than with a comparable sized Glock or XD. I've not shot enough of the M&P's to say.

Here's a LINK to their site

If it was me and I was not looking at another 1911 I'd give these a look. Also anything from Sig Sauer. I have yet to see a bad weapon Made by Sig yet.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2231 Times on 1205 Posts
Likes Given: 803

You pretty well covered it on small revolvers. The SP101 is what I have. I can tell you that the long trigger pull is going to take some getting use to.

I like Springfield XD's, but haven't tried the M&P pistols.

I'd suggest you try some 1911 bases pistols as well. If you want to keep on the small side, check Springfield's EMP or some of the other manufacturer's compacts.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 05-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post

The King of Nines.
I understand that you like the Brownings...is that right? (itsa joke son)

The problem is that no one has one to test fire. I do appreciate the link (from before) to the one at auction but would you recomend buying one without even holding it? Do you like them that much?

Brian

Old 05-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #9

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Cane really likes the classics and the HiPower is another designed by JMB. If you're looking for a full size, all steel gun - a HiPower is a great one. I personally wouldn't want to carry one around during the hot SE GA summers though...

Old 05-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #10

Check out an XD for sure. I've been shooting them for 3 years now and I have never had a failure to feed or fire (I do about 5000 rounds a year +/- 500). The price is right, you get a grip safety (and in some cases a thumb safety), and they are very easy to maintain.