reviews for smith&wesson sigma .40 caliber
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > reviews for smith&wesson sigma .40 caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default reviews for smith&wesson sigma .40 caliber

Anybody have any reviews on smith&Wesson sigma .40 caliber?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2993 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 278

There are several generations of Sigmas. The "F" or "C" models are the first generations. Triggers were OK and could be cleaned up a bit. The "V" models had slightly worse triggers but could be cleaned up. The "E" models had a propensity for breaking strikers (I do not know if they ever figured it out). The "VE" model has the worst trigger since the advent of triggers. I have not tried to do a trigger job on one of these, but it would require a bunch of work.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #3

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't know if this helps.

Smith & Wesson Sigma 40VE - PoliceLink

Old 01-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hegotahemi
Anybody have any reviews on smith&Wesson sigma .40 caliber?
I have a Sigma sw9ve same gun, different caliber, it goes bang everytime,9mm is 16+1 eats any ammo you feed it with out issues, trigger has a grainy gritty feel to it when you pull it slow you can feel it, i polished my internals to fix mine, now its smooth, the trigger pull is much harder than say a glock or most others. Well above 5 lbs, say like 10lbs or so , you can remove a spring inside to lighten it and also buy another lighter spring to help reduce the pull tension, the gun has no real safety but the one in the trigger like most other guns, s&w says they made it that way for safety issue, i love mine and for the price you can not beat it.. I have no regrets with mine.love it , a glock but cheaper price

Old 01-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #5

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

It will go bang every time, it will out live your grand kids, possibly your great grand kids, and the trigger sucks.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #6

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

I have a 40VE...gun is accurate, never had any malfunction. Close to 3000 rounds through it.

I think it is an excellent pistol for a novice. When I take a new shooter to the range, they get the sigma. It is inherently safe, due to the fact that the trigger makes it so that you REALLY have to want the gun to go off in order for it to do so. Shooters with any experience level will find their satisfaction with the trigger lacking...I just put the gauge on mine, and it is just under 11 lbs. It was far, far worse when new.

As Robo stated, there is LITTLE that can be done to achieve any marked improvement to the trigger.

These are just my opinions as an owner of the firearm. For what you pay, vs what you get it is solid. Just understand what it is you are buying.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #7

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
It will go bang every time, it will out live your grand kids, possibly your great grand kids, and the trigger sucks.
You said everything I did with about 900 fewer words...

Old 01-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #8

Liked 281 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I have a 40ve and polished the few metal trigger group parts to a high shinewith oiled wet-dry sand paper, 1000 gt. Changed the strick spring to a light wolf spring and trimmed both spring in the trigger group down a couple coils. trigger pull is just over 6lb's. Lubed with kroil moly.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #9

Liked 260 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Lotta people dont like them because of the immense trigger pull but The story I heard was that was purposely done for leo's they wanted a hard trigger for a saftey but Ive heard that once you do a trigger job on them and polish the internals much like a glock the difference is night and day. And theyre really cheap. Ive seen them on my local craigslist for guns Floridaguntrader.com as low as 250.00 which is a steal. theyre reliable and with a trigger job a blast to shoot . But If you like a long trigger as a saftey like I do then theyre great right out of the box.

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-16-2012, 05:23 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 237 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 518

I have had a .40 ve for a few years and love it, I have put a bunch of rounds through it and the only thing I done was send it to S&W for a new guid rod, I could have done it myself but hey, its got a lifetime warrenty so why not? And for good measure S&W put a new extractor on it also just because. So I cannot complain. It is very accurate and I kind of like the trigger because I use it for carry sometimes, and since there is no manual safty, the hard trigger pull gives me more peace of mind.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington