Remington r51 ? - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Remington r51 ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 02:58 AM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Put a call into the local shop and had them order me one today. No idea how long it's going to take. Can't wait; love that new gun smell!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 02-07-2014, 04:33 AM   #82
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2215 Times on 1547 Posts
Likes Given: 1148

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
I can now take the Remington r51 OFF of my wish list.

I fondled one a couple of times at the Eastern Outdoor Show today at the Harrisburg, PA farm show complex. It looks good & feels good, until you squeeze the grip safety in and then there is a small gap and edge that hits me right inside the connection of my thumb to my hand. I can tell that with any amount of shooting, it would end up rubbing me raw at that joint.

I'm definitely going to have to rent one or borrow one and shoot it a bit before I commit any money to one.
The big "if" with these is reliability. The design is certainly interesting, and the low bore axis/fixed barrel combination is great in the H&K P7. Tempting as it looks, there had to be a reason why it went out of production for the longest time. Two ways to deal with the new R51: Buy early, shoot, then if no good, trade while hot; or wait maybe for a year.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:43 PM   #83

Liked 263 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 25

From what I have read on the model 51 it was to costly back in the day and the price was to high when compared to other handguns in the market so remmy stopped making them.. Not the functionality of design .

Old 02-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #84
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3267 Times on 2221 Posts
Likes Given: 699

Default R51 thoughts?

Someone here, I think it was EMD, mentioned that a portion of the grip could rub on a hand joint the wrong way,...I guess you can wear a shooting glove( I'm finding that both prs. Of "TAC" gloves I have-1 insulated & one not) work just fine in the cool & cold weather). We're going to be outside shooting at least through this month and March, before we go back inside to our local Range.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 02-07-2014 at 11:52 PM.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #85

DrFootball I can tell you other smaller handguns can with to many rounds fired at one session can wear thru a couple layers of skin in a hurry right on the inside rear joint of your thumb where the web of skin between thumb and idex finger are. Took two weeks to heal up well enough a shoot again with gloves on and makes a joint hurt for some time longer. I know, dumb , right ! Happen with my cw9 kahr to me.

I hope the R51 is not delayed in comeing out. I to have been waiting for one for a couple weeks. Wife has a interest in it so I get to do a break in.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:21 PM   #86
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2220 Times on 1200 Posts
Likes Given: 801

Default A scathing indictment

This is a pretty scathing review of the R51.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/foghorn/gun-review-remington-r51/

Article conclusion:

Quote:
Compared to the competition, the R51 doesn’t deliver. It’s roughly the same dimensions as a Glock 19, but harder to field strip and re-assemble properly and serves-up half as many rounds in the magazine. The SCCY CPX-2 is cheaper, smaller, more capacious (holds three more rounds) and easier to maintain. In fact, there isn’t a single reason to buy the Remington R51 over any of the other guns in the compact 9mm category (other than marketing) and at least one good reason to avoid it altogether. As much as I’d like to mend fences with the Freedom Group, I call that an epic fail.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 02-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #87

Nick test for TTAG seems to have some conflecting views . He complains about the how painful it is to shoot then down a ways he said the low bore axis and the lighter slide did indeed help reduce recoil and allow him to get on target quickly !!! It can't have both yet it does seem to with this guy. His hand showed no signs of slide bite, only wear from shooting 500 rounds in a setting with lighter handgun . he said I prefers heavier full sized pistols so let him only test full size steel pistols. He then goes into the dis and reassembly starting with lineing up the marks to pull the assembly / slide lock pin. In general he looks totally green and unprepared to do it. makes it up as he goes.

To many guys today think a 1911 is hard to break down So whats to be expected by some.

I was going to read his reviews on kahrs as reset feel is almost zero and no one can say a cm9 or 40 does not recoil. But a lady did the review and it was a good review. Maybe that lady should have done the R51.

The R51 is not going to be a do it all for all people but atleast if you test it be prepared to learn it well before review'n it. And be honest in your review and not a whinner.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #88
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
This is a pretty scathing review of the R51.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/foghorn/gun-review-remington-r51/

Article conclusion:
Quote:
The R51 had enormous potential to be a really cool gun. I wanted it to be a really cool gun. And it still could be! But there are a couple very minor design changes that need to be made to get it to that point: an idiot-proof slide stop, followed by adding a tactile reset to the trigger. Finally, making the back of the gun a little more comfortable during recoil would round things out.
These seem like very minor issues to me personally. I'm a recoil junkie, so I don't see that bothering me much. If it does, I imagine Hogue will probably be making a set of wraparound grips for it quite soon.

On the reset, that's not too much of an issue either. I don't see that as something that would bother me.

As for disassembling it, just learn how to disassemble the thing correctly. That's what your supposed to do anyways.

I could see how this stuff could bug some people, but not me.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:57 PM   #89
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

i thought this was a rather particularly stupid statement...

Quote:
Granted this is a common complaint for wafer-thin compact 9mm handguns, but I was expecting the smoother stylings of the R51 and the lighter recoil of the Pedersen action to eliminate some of that discomfort.
then he contradicts himself a little further on

Quote:
The R51′s low bore axis and lighter slide did indeed reduce felt recoil and allowed me to get on target quickly.
so which is it and how does lighter slide with less mass and lighter recoil spring equate to less recoil... lol. only three things affect recoil forces in most handguns, spring weight pistol weight and slide mass.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 02-11-2014 at 10:59 PM.
People Like This 
Old 02-13-2014, 06:36 AM   #90

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

If the spring is so much kighter as stated this could be a good gun for my wife. She has a difficult time racking the slide on most guns

Sent from my LG-L38C using Firearms Talk mobile app