Registering a handgun from a private sale - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Registering a handgun from a private sale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 02:53 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2943 Times on 1533 Posts
Likes Given: 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy129 View Post
So, I don't have a florida ID and can't buy a handgun, but there is no paperwork needed for private sale in Florida. So this means I can have a friend with a Florida ID purchase a handgun and then immediately sell it to me for the exact amount he paid for it, correct? The gun will still be registered to him, but I will have bought the pistol legally. How do I go about registering the pistol? Can I still use it for CCW if it is technically registered to him?

Crispy
Going by the letter of your original post, this would definately be a straw purchase and in violation of Federal law. The operative term is "immediately sell". If he uses his own funds and holds the gun until you have established your residency, then sells it to you, you should be OK. But if you give him the cash and he spends it on "your gun", no matter how long he holds it you are both looking at 5 yrs in the Slam me in the A$$ Federal Prison.

Of course this is all moot if you are otherwise prohibited from purchasing a firearm because of one or more of several disqualifying reasons.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:16 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Haha, turns out the lady who told me I couldn't get an ID without a birth certificate was full of it. With my AL driver's license, mil ID, passport, and a proof of residence (pay stub or bill) I can get one. So now I'll be able to get one in a couple of days. It also turns out that there is a store that isn't too far away that gives a big discount for LE/military on Glocks, and I would be able to get a brand new Glock cheaper than I would have gotten the used one for. Thank you for your help, and I'm still definitely going to check out those links and that book.

Thanks,
Crispy