Recoil operation/action? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Recoil operation/action?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2867 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

The blow back or cam system have ways to allow the chamber to open after pressure is released by the bullet. The pressure rapidly decreases after the bullet exits the barrel.

Which is more reliable? Both have been around for years and probably will be around for more years.
The Hi-Point handguns use the physics of more energy needed to move mass. The PPK uses springs (recoil and main). The 1911 (and others) use a link to keep slide and barrel together until pressures decreases. Others use a camming system.

Comparing two different .380s (one a PPK/s, the other is a Kel-Tec P3AT), I have found that, for me, the PPK/s is more accurate.
Comparing my H&K PSP P7 (blowback) to a clone of the Browning Hi-Power, they both are reliable. And depending on ammo, the accuracy is not much different (I did some work on the BHP clone before this).

I would not worry about which is more reliable in making your decision. If the firearm was not reliable, it would not stay on market too long (except the dern Jimenez/Jennings pistol).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #12

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
The blow back or cam system have ways to allow the chamber to open after pressure is released by the bullet. The pressure rapidly decreases after the bullet exits the barrel.

Which is more reliable? Both have been around for years and probably will be around for more years.
The Hi-Point handguns use the physics of more energy needed to move mass. The PPK uses springs (recoil and main). The 1911 (and others) use a lint to keep slide and barrel together until pressures decreases. Others use a camming system.

Comparing two different .380s (one a PPK/s, the other is a Kel-Tec P3AT), I have found that, for me, the PPK/s is more accurate.
Comparing my H&K PSP P7 (blowback) to a clone of the Browning Hi-Power, they both are reliable. And depending on ammo, the accuracy is not much different (I did some work on the BHP clone before this).

I would not worry about which is more reliable in making your decision. If the firearm was not reliable, it would not stay on market too long (except the dern Jimenez/Jennings pistol).
I guess so. Still I like to educate myself on the mechanics of things. I've taken them apart and put back together but even then it's not like I'm re or reverse engineering something, so it's nice to get an understanding of how and why things I'm interested in work the way they do...

I did reference the user manual on these and it said this:

Ribs on top of barrel engaging recesses in ceiling of slide when breech block face of slide strikes barrel on its forward movement and pushes it ahead and up on its oval shaped pivoting hole in barrel lug.

Going to decipher what that all means later! Lol haven't even eaten breakfast yet and this is already too much to digest! Lol

Thanks again man!

Old 01-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #13
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2867 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Go to this site. They have a screen saver you may find interesting. You can "hide" different parts of the firearm as it cycles.
http://www.stiguns.com/resources/downloads/

Also check here:
http://www.m1911.org/1911desc.htm

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-31-2013, 11:47 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl

The H&K PSP P7, and variants, are fixed barreled, blow back, 9mms.
The delay in slide retraction is done by the gases bled off the cartridge.

The Hi-Point 9mm and .45ACP are of the blow back design.
the P7 almost like a short stroke piston, right?
Man I love that pistol.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56