Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Recoil operation/action?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 279 Times on 243 Posts

Is there a way to tell, by photo, if a gun is locked breech or blowback etc?

At the risk of over simplifying and sounding stupid, can it be as simple as identifying if it has a floating barrel or fixed?

I mean, if you can see a picture of the slide racked and locked back and notice that the barrel tip is angled upward, would that not indicate locked breech.

And visa versa if barrel parallel to frame indicating fixed, thus blowback?

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 01-30-2013 at 06:29 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2611 Times on 1520 Posts
Likes Given: 1160

One way is to look how the barrel is in relation to the slide when close.
Most blow backs do not allow the rear portion of the barrel to mesh or engage the slide.

The "pocket" pistols could be an example. The Kel-Tec P3AT has a barrel that the rear is flush with the top of the slide. As the slide retracts, the rear of the barrel cams down.

The PPK (blow back) barrel does not cam down.

When the slide is retracted, any movement of the barrel indicates that the firearm is not a blow back.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 01-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5102 Times on 2652 Posts
Likes Given: 309

There are always exceptions. The beretta 92 and its kin are direct blowback, the only 9mm handgun i know of that is such, but the barrel disengaging the slide is delayed. Its what makes their cyclic rate so blindingly fast.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8308 Times on 3590 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

The M9 is a bit of a weird duck, but is actually recoil/ blowback, with a locked breech. From the FM on the M9-

"Blowback reaction generated by the exploding charge thrusts the locked barrel/slide system rearward against the recoil spring. After recoiling about 3 mm (1/8"), the barrel and slide unlock, allowing the barrel to tilt down into the locked position. The slide continues rearward until it abuts against the receiver stop."

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #5

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
The M9 is a bit of a weird duck, but is actually recoil/ blowback, with a locked breech. From the FM on the M9-

"Blowback reaction generated by the exploding charge thrusts the locked barrel/slide system rearward against the recoil spring. After recoiling about 3 mm (1/8"), the barrel and slide unlock, allowing the barrel to tilt down into the locked position. The slide continues rearward until it abuts against the receiver stop."
Isn't that just how most locked breech handguns fire?

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
There are always exceptions. The beretta 92 and its kin are direct blowback, the only 9mm handgun i know of that is such, but the barrel disengaging the slide is delayed. Its what makes their cyclic rate so blindingly fast.
The H&K PSP P7, and variants, are fixed barreled, blow back, 9mms.
The delay in slide retraction is done by the gases bled off the cartridge.

The Hi-Point 9mm and .45ACP are of the blow back design.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 01-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
One way is to look how the barrel is in relation to the slide when close.
Most blow backs do not allow the rear portion of the barrel to mesh or engage the slide.
Okay, that's an interesting and logical sounding way to think about/look at it.

Let me see if I understand correctly. If, when looking at a semiautomatic pistol on the right side with shell ejection port, the top of the barrel, which is visible through the porthole, isn't flush with the slide, it's quite possibly, if not most likely, blowback?

So like my Firestars, where the barrels are completely shrouded by the slide, are probably blowback operated?

Picture of guns found here for reference...
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/sp/star-firestar-e.html

Thanks Dan!

Old 01-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Very interesting. It's the any simple way to explain how they achieve our even why they would incorporate such a system?

Do you have a preference in these actions by the way? And if so, would you mind briefly telling me why.

I've been under the assumption that locked breech was the most reliable, but that was an uneducated guess and I wish to get educated.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Okay, that's an interesting and logical sounding way to think about/look at it.

Let me see if I understand correctly. If, when looking at a semiautomatic pistol on the right side with shell ejection port, the top of the barrel, which is visible through the porthole, isn't flush with the slide, it's quite possibly, if not most likely, blowback?

So like my Firestars, where the barrels are completely shrouded by the slide, are probably blowback operated?

Picture of guns found here for reference...
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/sp/star-firestar-e.html

Thanks Dan!
I read the tech info and it says that those firearms in your reference are cam operated. The barrel looks to be like a blow back, but in reality, they have 1 or more lugs or some part of the barrel that engages the slide.

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 01-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post

I read the tech info and it says that those firearms in your reference are cam operated. The barrel looks to be like a blow back, but in reality, they have 1 or more lugs or some part of the barrel that engages the slide.
Yeah, that's why I asked. It says it uses some Browning cam locking system or something like that right?

So am I safe to assume this "cam locking" is the same as a breech lock action?

Maybe there simply is no way to tell by pictures. Lol

Thanks again for the consultation Dan!