Range tips
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Range tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Range tips

I'm fairly new to the gun ownership club and I've wondered what tips y'all could give me with regards to practicing at the range. I have an SR9c and have put approximately 600 rounds thru it without any problems but I was interested in being more proficient and efficient with my ammo an time. I usually have a very tight spray and I am pretty consistent between 10-20 yards. I haven't purchased a OWB holster yet but will when my conceal permit arrives. I don't ever think there will be too many times that I would open carry but would like the holster for the range. I live in Oklahoma. I'm very respectful of my gun and practice safe handling at all times. What's your best tips? Thanks y'all!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3048 Times on 1753 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Congrats on joining the firearm ownership club.

One of the best things to do is check with a local shooting range (even if you don't want to become a member).
Watch the people. You will see who is shooting better. Ask him (or her) for some advice.

This goes a lot further in helping you than our suggesting things, but not being able to provide you actual face-to-face assistance. If I tried to explain how I hold a handgun, I still would like to see how you do it to make sure you understand.

Or get into a firearms training class. Trying to learn shooting by reading is okay, but a face-to-face lesson is better.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #3

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

I've never shot at a range so no help there-
Do you have a freind who you know to be experienced you can shoot with?
If not as danf suggested- try a class -

Congrats on your gun choice - Been a SR9C in my family for a couple yrs now

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 07-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3048 Times on 1753 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

My recommendation is based on a few factors:
1. To lower your golf score, get a pro to assist with your swing and help with the short game.
2. To beat your opponent in tennis, get the tennis pro to assist with your swing and control of the racket.
3. To handle your motorcycle proficiently, attend a motorcycle safety course (and the advanced course).
4. Driver's education.
5. To get a pilot's license, lessons are required.

All the above are things we do to better ourselves. The common theme is to have someone assist.
Shooting is not an instinct we are born with. Just as other things, a coach or teacher can help considerably.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #5

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I'm the last guy you'd want to give you tips for improving accuracy, so pay attention to these other folks. But as for HOW to practice, I'm a firm believer in not confining it all to the "perfect stance & two handed hold".

Mix it up with some up-close one handed practice, instinctive point & shoot, without using the sights. Set your own agenda, but I like to shoot at 5 yards or less, 20% strong hand & 20% weak hand without using the sights, then two handed at longer distances of 7-15 yards for a total of about 50 rounds. After that, just for fun at the longer ranges until I'm done.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #6

Thanks!! I do have a friend who is the range master for the local PD & he's offered to let me shoot at his range. I've put approx. 600 rounds through my gun and feel incredibly comfortable shooting it. Cleaning it is also pretty simple and easy. I didn't know if anyone had any pearls or sure-fire (no pun intended) tip.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

If your friend is the Range Master at the local PD, he should be able to get you at least started correctly on the basics. If he is willing or can spend some of his off duty time with you he can probably teach you a lot of what you need.

If he can't, find a NRA certified instructor. Any range should be able to refer you to someone in your area. I'm a range officer at a local range and we have 4 different instructors available, depending on what you want to learn: everything from basic pistol to home defense to a CCW course.

Those of us that carry have an extremely seriously responsibility to know as much as we can and be aware of the consequences of our actions.

Not trying to discourage you by any means, just want you to get all the training you can. I have had a CCW in 5 different states over the last 30 years and spent a week at a 4 day defensive handgun course last fall (Oct 2011).....you can never get enough training no matter your experience level. And yes, I learned a few new things while at the 4 day course. JMHO

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.