Rail-mounted accessories
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Rail-mounted accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Rail-mounted accessories

Hi all! New to the forum here, and I have some questions I hope you can help me out with. I just picked up a used SIG P229 today, and since my state doesn't allow concealed carry, its primary purpose is for home defense. Now, while I keep a high-quality tactical flashlight nearby, I'm no combat expert, so I figure it might be a good idea to invest in a decent mounted light so I can keep both hands on the gun if ever I need to use it in the middle of the night.

This is where you all come in. I know a few things about guns, but absolutely nothing about rail accessories. Manufacturers to look at or avoid? Specs to keep in mind? I've seen prices range anywhere from around $50 to $400+ at the gun shop. I don't plan to spend a ton, but don't want to get a cheap POS either. And what about a laser light? Worth it? I've seen a few models that combine the two.

So there's my barrage of questions. As you can probably tell, I really don't even know where to begin, so any suggestions or opinions would be great! Thanks in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #2

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HounDawg07 View Post
Hi all! New to the forum here, and I have some questions I hope you can help me out with. I just picked up a used SIG P229 today, and since my state doesn't allow concealed carry, its primary purpose is for home defense. Now, while I keep a high-quality tactical flashlight nearby, I'm no combat expert, so I figure it might be a good idea to invest in a decent mounted light so I can keep both hands on the gun if ever I need to use it in the middle of the night.

This is where you all come in. I know a few things about guns, but absolutely nothing about rail accessories. Manufacturers to look at or avoid? Specs to keep in mind? I've seen prices range anywhere from around $50 to $400+ at the gun shop. I don't plan to spend a ton, but don't want to get a cheap POS either. And what about a laser light? Worth it? I've seen a few models that combine the two.

So there's my barrage of questions. As you can probably tell, I really don't even know where to begin, so any suggestions or opinions would be great! Thanks in advance!
For home defense a weapons mounted light is a great asset. Streamlight has a few models that are well priced and very high quality including a laser/light combo. A light of some kind by your HD gun is a essential!. And attached light is a REALLY nice to have!

It has been proven time and time again that a laser is of value during a close confrontation but the issue is that you have to make sure you train to learn to use it but NOT to relly on it. You should not neglect the basic fundamentals of using the front sight effectively in exchange for following a red dot on paper.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #3

Thanks for the input. Checked out a few lights online, and I like the Streamlight TLR-1 and TLR-2. Seems they're the same light, but the latter adds a laser sight. Problem is the price differential. Based on what I've seen online, the 1 can be had for around $100, while the 2 will run me around $240. $140 extra for a laser... worth it? I don't know.

I've also discovered the Surefire X300 for about the same as the TLR-2, but no laser.

Not sure what else is really out there, but at this point I'm leaning towards the TLR-2 if I can find it a little cheaper somewhere, or possibly used. I'd like to keep the price below $200.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:02 AM   #4

Well that resolved itself rather quickly. Picked up a used TLR-2 on an auction website for $160, free shipping. Pics+review to come shortly.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:09 AM   #5

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HounDawg07 View Post
Well that resolved itself rather quickly. Picked up a used TLR-2 on an auction website for $160, free shipping. Pics+review to come shortly.
Building a good laser that holds up under repeated pistol recoil (rifle recoil like an AR-15 is not as tough on a laser) is not a cheap proposition. That's why the price difference is so high. I have a lot of experience with the TLR-2. You are REALLY going to like that unit. High quality and tough as nails.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have seen many comments over the years of people who have bought cheap lasers/lights.

They either fly off the gun from recoil quite often, or they do not hold up. You do get what you pay for.

I am a flashlight collector, and I always have said that there are great alternatives out there from Eagletac and Solarforce, and one need not spend the $ that Surefire and Streamlight charges for their lights. And I believe that... For non weapon mounted lights.

Admittedly, you can easily mount a standard type flashlight on a rifle, and I have done that with Eagletacs before. But for pistol mounted lights - i ONLY consider streamlight or surefire. Insight is another good brand. I won't consider anything else for a handgun light.

Lasers... I'd stick with Lasermax or Crimson Trace.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 324 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I would look at a Sig Sauer STL-900L. It's a tac light/strobe/laser all in one. A little bulky, but it's quality gear. I bought mine not so long ago at Botach for $89. A friend of mine also picked one up at the same price several weeks ago. Direct from Sig they're $215, and Cheaper Than Dirt wants $195 for them.

Botach still has them in their catalog, but there's no price listed...so they might be out of stock. You'd probably have to give them a call to find out. If you can get one for under $100, it's a fine deal. If not, I'd look in another direction.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Here is my TRL 1 on my Beretta M9A1

Old 06-21-2011, 03:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
I have seen many comments over the years of people who have bought cheap lasers/lights.

They either fly off the gun from recoil quite often, or they do not hold up. You do get what you pay for.
This is exactly what I wanted to avoid. I'd rather spend a few extra bucks for quality. There were plenty of knockoffs floating around online, and I almost got suckered by one because it looked nearly identical and was advertised as the real deal. Thankfully, my too-good-to-be-true BS alarm went off, and a disaster was averted