Racking the slide - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Racking the slide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 11:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobpissypants View Post
I am aware that most manufacturers recommend not using the slide release. I am the type of person who does not "baby" my equipment. If I buy a piece of equipment, or tool, I'm gonna use all the gadgets, at least some of the time. In my opinion, if they didn't want me to use it, it wouldn't be on the gun.
I can't find one manufacturer that recommends not using the slide release/stop.
It's always been a training issue, someone correct me if I'm wrong (with appropriate documentation of course).

Old 02-01-2010, 11:27 PM   #12

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
You should be familiar with both options, IMO, as you just never know what conditions you could find yourself in under duress and possibility injured.

Know your weapon, but don't just practice one way of going about things, because your world can change in a New York Minute....JD
Indeed, spoken for truth. I do it both ways, it just depends on how fast I need to be back on target when I am shooting.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #13

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeoTango View Post
I can't find one manufacturer that recommends not using the slide release/stop.
It's always been a training issue, someone correct me if I'm wrong (with appropriate documentation of course).
any Glock manual for sure. thats the first place i saw it myself.
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-02-2010, 12:03 AM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
any Glock manual for sure. thats the first place i saw it myself.

From the Glock manual
Glock Manual 17, 17L, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Quote:
After the last round has been fired, the slide remains open. Remove the empty magazine fromthe weapon by pushing the magazine catch (19). Insert a new magazine and then either pushthe slide stop lever (27) downwards (see photo), or pull the slide slightly backwards and allow it to spring forwards. The weapon is now again secured and ready to fire.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:12 AM   #15

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeoTango View Post
This was a mantra that began with the fine vs gross motor skills debate.?
This is one valid reason. "Fine vs Gross" motor skill becomes very self evident under stress.

But the main reason for pulling the slide to the rear (never "pinch and pull" between thumb and forefinger, always use the whole hand) is to capture the remaining recoil spring energy and increase inertia. Virtually every SA pistol has about 1/4" of rear travel left in the slide after the point where it is locked back by the slide stop. That 1/4" of spring pressure, coupled with the "flicking forward motion" of the strong hand can be enough extra "Oomph" to get a slide into battery on a pistol that may be dirty, or a round that may not want to chamber 100%.

Slide velocity and inertia are your friends.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:18 AM   #16

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
(never "pinch and pull" between thumb and forefinger, always use the whole hand).
Really??

Even though countless firearms trainers and instructors refer to "Pinch and Pull" when teaching newbs, especially when the weapon is hot?

And what, praytell, was the source of "never" in that statement?? A link would be great.

I don't disagree with your inertia arguement, but I would like to hear about why "never" was used.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:25 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Really??

Even though countless firearms trainers and instructors refer to "Pinch and Pull" when teaching newbs, especially when the weapon is hot?

And what, praytell, was the source of "never" in that statement?? A link would be great.

I don't disagree with your inertia arguement, but I would like to hear about why "never" was used.
On what weapons of yours does the slide get too hot to touch? I don't pinch, but that's just because whole hand is easier.
Ruger Mk III Competition
S&W M&P 9 Pro Series
East German Makarov PM

Old 02-02-2010, 12:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bluesky View Post
On what weapons of yours does the slide get too hot to touch? I don't pinch, but that's just because whole hand is easier.
First off, did I ever say it was my weapon? During normal use? Never. During real training? Definitely.

Hey Jack, what about you? Your weapon ever get hot to the touch?

Secondly, since you asked. You ever run through a kill house? You ever spend 2 or 3 hours doing nothing but pistol drills?

Weapons get hot. Adjustable sights are sharp, especially to untrained hands when you are teaching them how to shoot well early on. And anyone that says there is no such thing as "Pinch & Pull" as an instruction technique is full of it.

JD

Old 02-02-2010, 12:43 AM   #19

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

You guys are all sissies. your supposed to drop the mag slam one home then take the sights and push them into the side of your thigh and rack the slide that way. Man none of you were ever taught that. Your instructors aren't very good. I learned that right after my ninja dad taught me how to jump over a car while engaging the bad guys with grandmas 22lr.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
You guys are all sissies. your supposed to drop the mag slam one home then take the sights and push them into the side of your thigh and rack the slide that way. Man none of you were ever taught that. Your instructors aren't very good. I learned that right after my ninja dad taught me how to jump over a car while engaging the bad guys with grandmas 22lr.
While I respect your Ninja Father, I must say....

Ninja Please! ( nods to Suprdave )

If you had any skills, you would be counting rounds and would NEVER shoot a weapon dry. Hence the term "Tactical Reload".

Learn it. Love it.