Racking the slide
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Racking the slide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Default Racking the slide

When I load a round in a semi-auto pistol, I pull the slide back and then release it, being sure to not slow the slide it as it loads. The only FTF's I have had on a Glock were when I did not do this. Is this true of most semi-auto pistols? I haven't had a chance to try this with my 1911 but wanted to get more information about this than just with my own pistols.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #2

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You should load any pistol in this matter. allowing the slide to strip a round from the magazine as its intended to.

hand loading on into the chamber and slamming the ejector against it will ultimately lead to ejector damage.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #3

I mostly use the slide release. I have been lucky enough to not have failures.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobpissypants View Post
I mostly use the slide release.
be mindful that most manuals discourage the use of the "slide lock/slide catch" as a means to drop the slide. Most tell you to manipulate the slide rearward to release the catch.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Old 02-01-2010, 09:32 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Huh, didn't know that. Will be releasing my slide by pulling it from now on.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 02-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #6

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
be mindful that most manuals discourage the use of the "slide lock/slide catch" as a means to drop the slide. Most tell you to manipulate the slide rearward to release the catch.
Is that to prevent wear and tear and a possible breakdown or increased likelyhood of failure in the slide lock?

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #7

undue wear to both parts involved. It can round off the catch recess in the slide. as well as damage the catch itself.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:02 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I strictly used the slide release on my Sig for years and years. After all, wasn't that what it was there for? Never had a problem and still don't to this day with the weapon. It never failed and it never failed to load a round from a mag.

Then I started spending some time with my gunsmith and he showed me the differences on the inner workings and why it is better, overall, for the weapon and the reliability for you to pull the slide back and release it.

There is nothing "wrong" with using the slide release, it isn't going to break your weapon. However the slide "pinch and pull" is a better overall option UNLESS you are in the middle of a gunfight, reloading an empty weapon & you need to get it back smoking in a hurry.

You should be familiar with both options, IMO, as you just never know what conditions you could find yourself in under duress and possibility injured.

Take a look at the guys that preach you being able to rack your slide on your belt, beltloop or even the heel of your boot if you are injured. You just never know. Even with a shot in the hand, you can probably reload and hit the slide release easily enough.

Know your weapon, but don't just practice one way of going about things, because your world can change in a New York Minute....

JD

Old 02-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Using the slide lock to release the slide on a charged mag is good-to-go. It is what its designed for.

Glock manual says either. Glock Manual 17, 17L, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

So does Kimber. http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/kimber_1911.pdf

This was a mantra that began with the fine vs gross motor skills debate.
When was the last time you saw an auto with the slide stop lever/catch damaged from over use?
?

All rights reserved. All wrongs revenged.

Last edited by RomeoTango; 02-01-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:56 PM   #10

I am aware that most manufacturers recommend not using the slide release. I am the type of person who does not "baby" my equipment. If I buy a piece of equipment, or tool, I'm gonna use all the gadgets, at least some of the time. In my opinion, if they didn't want me to use it, it wouldn't be on the gun.