Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Racking the slide (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/racking-slide-22896/)

Yunus 02-01-2010 08:45 PM

Racking the slide

When I load a round in a semi-auto pistol, I pull the slide back and then release it, being sure to not slow the slide it as it loads. The only FTF's I have had on a Glock were when I did not do this. Is this true of most semi-auto pistols? I haven't had a chance to try this with my 1911 but wanted to get more information about this than just with my own pistols.

willfully armed 02-01-2010 09:11 PM

You should load any pistol in this matter. allowing the slide to strip a round from the magazine as its intended to.

hand loading on into the chamber and slamming the ejector against it will ultimately lead to ejector damage.

jimbobpissypants 02-01-2010 09:16 PM

I mostly use the slide release. I have been lucky enough to not have failures.

willfully armed 02-01-2010 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbobpissypants (Post 222798)
I mostly use the slide release.

be mindful that most manuals discourage the use of the "slide lock/slide catch" as a means to drop the slide. Most tell you to manipulate the slide rearward to release the catch.

Mr. Bluesky 02-01-2010 09:32 PM

Huh, didn't know that. Will be releasing my slide by pulling it from now on.

Yunus 02-01-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfully armed (Post 222800)
be mindful that most manuals discourage the use of the "slide lock/slide catch" as a means to drop the slide. Most tell you to manipulate the slide rearward to release the catch.

Is that to prevent wear and tear and a possible breakdown or increased likelyhood of failure in the slide lock?

willfully armed 02-01-2010 09:39 PM

undue wear to both parts involved. It can round off the catch recess in the slide. as well as damage the catch itself.

Dillinger 02-01-2010 10:02 PM

I strictly used the slide release on my Sig for years and years. After all, wasn't that what it was there for? :confused: Never had a problem and still don't to this day with the weapon. It never failed and it never failed to load a round from a mag.

Then I started spending some time with my gunsmith and he showed me the differences on the inner workings and why it is better, overall, for the weapon and the reliability for you to pull the slide back and release it.

There is nothing "wrong" with using the slide release, it isn't going to break your weapon. However the slide "pinch and pull" is a better overall option UNLESS you are in the middle of a gunfight, reloading an empty weapon & you need to get it back smoking in a hurry.

You should be familiar with both options, IMO, as you just never know what conditions you could find yourself in under duress and possibility injured.

Take a look at the guys that preach you being able to rack your slide on your belt, beltloop or even the heel of your boot if you are injured. You just never know. Even with a shot in the hand, you can probably reload and hit the slide release easily enough.

Know your weapon, but don't just practice one way of going about things, because your world can change in a New York Minute....

JD

RomeoTango 02-01-2010 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfully armed (Post 222800)

Using the slide lock to release the slide on a charged mag is good-to-go. It is what its designed for.

Glock manual says either. Glock Manual 17, 17L, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

So does Kimber. http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/kimber_1911.pdf

This was a mantra that began with the fine vs gross motor skills debate.
When was the last time you saw an auto with the slide stop lever/catch damaged from over use?
?

jimbobpissypants 02-01-2010 10:56 PM

I am aware that most manufacturers recommend not using the slide release. I am the type of person who does not "baby" my equipment. If I buy a piece of equipment, or tool, I'm gonna use all the gadgets, at least some of the time. In my opinion, if they didn't want me to use it, it wouldn't be on the gun.