R.I.P. My Desert Eagle?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > R.I.P. My Desert Eagle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 01:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default R.I.P. My Desert Eagle?

So I took the Desert Eagle to a different gunsmith today, had him professionally clean the barrel etc(removed all the potential crap from the gas port), and when they went to test the gun, same deal....here's the problem. Every second or third shot, not only does the shell fail to eject(it sticks in the barrel), but the next round gets stuck in the slide. I've fired just about every round(besides the forbidden rounds) imaginable in that weapon, and still the same problem. The weapon was purchased new, and only my dad has ever fired it.

The Bads That My dad has done to the gun: Fired some rounds that left lead deposits(hence the professional cleaning), and has fired reloads in excess of 1500 ft. lbs of energy(not sure what the gun can handle).

The Goods: Gun was always immaculately cleaned, oiled, well treated etc.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-27-2010, 01:53 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I am not a gunsmith, but I do work for one, and I have taken DE's apart before.
I hope no one will bash on me because It's been a while since I've had one apart so if I'm wrong then I hope someone will correct me.
There is a little protrusion on the piece that connects the two recoil spring and guide rods together. If i'm not mistaken, it engages with the gas piston.
Anyway, from what I've been told, once that tiny little piece wears down a bit, it will cause malfunctions.
If your gunsmith didn't check that part, I would take it back to him and have him check it out.

Last edited by General_lee; 10-27-2010 at 01:56 AM.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:16 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
I am not a gunsmith, but I do work for one, and I have taken DE's apart before.
I hope no one will bash on me because It's been a while since I've had one apart so if I'm wrong then I hope someone will correct me.
There is a little protrusion on the piece that connects the two recoil spring and guide rods together. If i'm not mistaken, it engages with the gas piston.
Anyway, from what I've been told, once that tiny little piece wears down a bit, it will cause malfunctions.
If your gunsmith didn't check that part, I would take it back to him and have him check it out.
Yeah, and Ive also been told that the feed ramps on these weapons are not well designed

Old 10-27-2010, 02:19 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Well, now you have a really neat looking hammer.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:25 AM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Don't look at me, I got nothing on this one. I have shot probably 6 or 8 of them in my time for a total of 50 or 60 rounds and never cleaned one.

Useless in this thread, party of one??

JD

Old 10-27-2010, 02:48 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
Well, I hope not, lol. Even if I drop a few hundred bucks into the gun, I paid 0 for it originally, so it wont exactly be a loss

Old 10-27-2010, 03:05 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5672 Times on 2962 Posts
Likes Given: 375

if he was shooting lead unjacketed rounds you have a clogged gas port. this is a common problem when using non-jacketed bullets in gas operated firearms. a good way to clean this is a good long soak in a solvent that works on lead and compressed air or a VERY small wire pick. DE feed ramps are very good as they are based off the AR15/M16. feed issues come from in no particular order: under powered ammo, worn recoil spring, clogged gas port.

as for high powered rounds i doubt you can damage the gun itself from over charged rounds. the cases will fail and seperate long before the gun will. it is still extremely dangerous to the shooter to do this. desert eagles if anything are extremely robust.

what ammo brand is getting stuck cases??

Old 10-27-2010, 05:01 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
if he was shooting lead unjacketed rounds you have a clogged gas port. this is a common problem when using non-jacketed bullets in gas operated firearms. a good way to clean this is a good long soak in a solvent that works on lead and compressed air or a VERY small wire pick. DE feed ramps are very good as they are based off the AR15/M16. feed issues come from in no particular order: under powered ammo, worn recoil spring, clogged gas port.

as for high powered rounds i doubt you can damage the gun itself from over charged rounds. the cases will fail and seperate long before the gun will. it is still extremely dangerous to the shooter to do this. desert eagles if anything are extremely robust.

what ammo brand is getting stuck cases??
Blazer, Hornady and reloaded ammo all Jams, one of the guys at a gun shop I go to fired 3 different 240 grain rounds, none of which he informed me of what they were, the gas port was well cleaned by a gunsmith, so I think we can rule that one out...underpowered ammo seems somewhat unlikely, because the hand loads were at about 1300ft lbs.....worn recoil springs, that's possible indeed...also, if the little metal piece that holds the recoil springs is prone to failure if worn, then that can be possible, cause it's worn.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:57 AM   #9

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
Damn that was mean...Funny though

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-28-2010, 03:10 AM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Damn that was mean...Funny though
Well, fact of the matter is, I got the gun for free, and though I love the gun(had lots of good times with it), if it's going to have reliability issues, then I wont be shooting it that much and it wont be as dear to me