Questions-comments on Kahr CW9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Questions-comments on Kahr CW9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Questions-comments on Kahr CW9

Hi folks! I just picked up a Kahr CW9 for yet another CCW gun. Nice gun, well made it appears. I did find one thing that I don't understand on their website in Q & A:

Q. My firearm fails to chamber the first round when I pull back the slide and release it. What is wrong?

A. It is likely you are either failing to pull the slide fully back or you are riding the slide as you release it. We recommend that you lock back the slide, insert the clip, and release the slide with the slide stop. This will require that you carry a load in the chamber for self defense purposes. However, the passive safety system will prevent the pistol from firing unless the trigger is pulled, even if the gun is dropped. If you would prefer not to carry a round in the chamber, you may remove a round from the magazine. This alters the angle of the bullet and will allow it to chamber even if you ride the slide.

What are they talking about when they say remove a round from the mag? If there's only 6 in the mag it's supposed to feed better?

Overall, it appears to be a pretty nice gun. Bad think is up here in Minnesota, I won't be back to the range until spring unless we see a thaw.

Any Kahr comments would be appreciated!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

If you read the manual you'll find that Kahr specifies to use the slide release and not slingshot the slide. I've owned a number of them and I always used the slide release and never had any problems.

By loading one less, there's less spring tension and a slingshot may work better. Why you'd carry without one in the chamber is beyond me though...

Old 12-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for the comments. I guess I've always weighed the odds of having to use my carry piece against the possibility of an accident carrying one in the tube. That is part of my reason for buying the Kahr though. I think they have a pretty good reputation for safety and am more comfortable with the CW9.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Old 12-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Put a couple of hundred rounds through it before you trust it. I have been very pleased with mine.

I usually carry IWB, even in shorts and t-shirt weather. A Hogue Handall Jr feels better if the grip is too narrow for you.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:17 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I stock & sell Kahr firearms, but I'm not partial to the CW series. As far as I'm concerned they are just a more cheaply made handgun designed to appeal to the cheaper customer. I find Kahr to be a good gun when used as designed as a Back-Up gun. BTW I just read that Kahr purchased Magnum Research, I guess they can't get too much worse, maybe Kahr can fix them... I hope not like they fixed Auto Ordnance tho

Old 12-10-2010, 12:46 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Kahr does say that the CW series was intended to get under that $500 range to appeal to customers who didn't want to drop $ 700 on a Kahr. Major difference they noted was the barrel rifling was cut different.

I was just looking for something reliable to carry when my Ruger SR9 or my Para Ordnance wouldn't do the trick or was too cumbersome to carry.

When you say you're not partial to the CW series, is your opinion they are not made very well? Just curious what you don't like about them or what they lack. I'm new to the Kahr's but hadheard and read they were pretty darn good firearms.

Thanks!

Old 12-10-2010, 01:49 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I find the CW guns to be a bit too large for pocket carry, and I think anything that large should be a double stack type gun. If you are looking for a bulky gun with a single stack mag check out the Kel-Tec PF-9

Old 12-10-2010, 04:27 AM   #8

Likes Given: 5

The CW series is not cheaply made. I own a CW9 and a CW45. You will be happy with yours. But I would be considered a "cheap customer" by some. That is why I dropped ny $850 at someone's store that recognized a thrifty customer who appreciated a great value. By the way someone in the gun business should have known that the Magnum Research deal was done back in early summer.

Last edited by franco45; 12-10-2010 at 04:33 AM.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:17 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by franco45 View Post
The CW series is not cheaply made. I own a CW9 and a CW45. You will be happy with yours. But I would be considered a "cheap customer" by some. That is why I dropped ny $850 at someone's store that recognized a thrifty customer who appreciated a great value. By the way someone in the gun business should have known that the Magnum Research deal was done back in early summer.
Well Obviously if I were as Smart & Handsome & Successful as You are
I would know gobs of unknown information. Can I tell people I know you?

Old 12-11-2010, 02:24 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Does anyone know here a guy can pick up a factory magazine reasonably priced?