Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > question about FM detective 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 01:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default question about FM detective 9mm

I looked at a FM detective 9mm today. Upon inspection I noticed that at the ejection port section of the barrel it looks like a hairline crack. It goes completely around in a perfect line. I thought at first it was a hairline crack from hot loads but then I tried feeling it with a needle and it is perfectly smooth. I think it is a mark from when the barrel was machined. Does anyone know anything about this mark? Thanks in advance

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-11-2009, 02:35 AM   #2
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimarron1876 View Post
I looked at a FM detective 9mm today. Upon inspection I noticed that at the ejection port section of the barrel it looks like a hairline crack. It goes completely around in a perfect line. I thought at first it was a hairline crack from hot loads but then I tried feeling it with a needle and it is perfectly smooth. I think it is a mark from when the barrel was machined. Does anyone know anything about this mark? Thanks in advance
You missed the new members welcome page.....good place to start.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2547 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

FM? Do you mean FN? Machining marks are not uncommon. Cracks are uncommon. If it were a crack, it likely would have led to a failure already. Look at another one in a store to see if machining marks are common in that spot.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

There are FM Hi Powers. They are of Argentine manufacture, manufactured under license from Browning.

I had a full sized model and it was an excellent pistol. I took the magazine safety out and the trigger got very nice. I also had Novak's remove the hump on the feedramp and throat and polish the chamber. I miss it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams