Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Pros & Cons For Alloy Frames

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Pros & Cons For Alloy Frames

I have been looking at Smith & Wesson 40's and noticed both types of frames. Can anyone provide their Pros & Cons for frame types. Thanks Tom

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2598 Times on 1366 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Steel frames are heavier and probably stronger. They help absorb recoil better so you do not feel as much. Alloy frames are lighter and easier to carry. They MAY not hold up to hard long term use but I doubt you will have any problems unless you shoot thousands of rounds a year.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I bought a Smith & wesson 410S .40 S&W, and it came with Crimson Trace laser grips. I didn't like the alloy frame as the felt recoil was un-comfortable after about 20 rounds or so. HOWEVER, my CZ75B is the same caliber (40 S&W) and it also has an alloy frame. I can shoot my CZ75B ALL DAY LONG and it doesn't bother me like the S&W does. The shape of the grip makes all the difference...

The CZ75B is fairly light weight considering its a full sized semi-auto and carries 12+1.

Last edited by Mark F; 09-09-2008 at 11:26 AM.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:38 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Different strokes, for different folks. I prefer alloy frames on the guns I carry all day, every day especially cuz I carry two while at work. As for strength and durability, I'll wear out before the guns do.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 09-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
Different strokes, for different folks. I prefer alloy frames on the guns I carry all day, every day especially cuz I carry two while at work. As for strength and durability, I'll wear out before the guns do.
My CZ75B has some sort of alloy frame. It ain't too bad especially compared to the steel version. I imagine that carrying all day does make a BIG difference! Especially if you have two to tote all day...