Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Proper hand placement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Proper hand placement

Can you all post pics of you holding your guns like you do at the range for target practice with proper hand placement on both glock type pistols and sig sauer. I know it sounds weird but I just want to compare my hold with others that r good shots. I find it sort of difficult to figure how to hold the sig because where the slide stop lever is and the decocker. And a close up of finger placement on the trigger. Do you guys also fully extend your arms, or one extended one bent, close in, push/pull grip, or squeeze wrists together. Just want to know because I am a very shaky person and I have trouble stopping that. Always had that problem my whole life. I also have trouble getting right back on target after the recoil. Is there any tricks to that? Thanks in advance. Kinda embarrassed asking these but I'm sure there is others that need to know too.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8449 Times on 3666 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

No pics for you, but a suggestion- besides concentrating on hands and arms, look at your FEET. I find a lot of shooters at the line, trying to face target squarely, feet side by side, 12 inches apart. When you raise your arms, you are off balance- hips go forward, shoulders back. When you fire, you are WAY off balance.

If right handed,turn slightly to right, spread feet shoulder width apart, take half step forward with LEFT foot only. Now when you raise arms, weight is centered above your feet. A LOT less shaky.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 03-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter

If right handed,turn slightly to right, spread feet shoulder width apart, take half step forward with LEFT foot only. Now when you raise arms, weight is centered above your feet. A LOT less shaky.
I stand slightly in a lunge position, it gives me much better balance than standing with my feet aligned.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #4

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

I know someone with what sounds like the same shaking problem, turned out to be a thyroid problem. Took the prescribed meds and cleared it right up. Have you explored that possibility at all?

Controlling muzzle flip takes practice, what helped me tremendously was video taping myself and I could see firsthand what I was doing wrong.

I use a thumbs crossed grip on semi-autos, web of my hand as high up on the back of the grip as it can go. For me, that helps control muzzle climb...hope that helps...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Last edited by vincent; 03-03-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:12 AM   #5

Likes Given: 1

Could be lots of things as others have stated. Just throwing this out . . .which sig do you have -- double stack or single stack mag. If double stack, does it feel thick in your hand? Are your fingers long enough to get a good grasp? I have both double stack and single stack pistols -- I have large (or thick) hands but short fingers. The single stack pistol feels much better in my hand.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:20 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2666 Times on 1552 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

To me, I don't care which handgun I have, my hands are the same.
My thumbs are pointing along side towards the target. I do not put a finger in front of the trigger guard. The barrel is in line with my forearm so the arm mass takes the recoil and not some small part of the hand. I use the same basic hold for revolvers, too.

To check my feet alignment (placed like C3 sez), I close my eyes and bring the handgun up to approximately where I think the target is centered with no strain on my sides. Open the eyes and adjust the right foot (fore or aft) and repeat. The less strain I have on my body, the easier to shoot. I also use a little bend in my forward knee (so my back does not absorb the recoil, but the whole body does).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Last edited by danf_fl; 03-04-2012 at 01:22 AM.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:37 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys. I have to wait to get some more cash for ammo before I can go practice again. I wish I knew someone out here with a field (range) that I would be able to hang out with n shoot. But Illinois sucks. It's hard to get good only going to the range once/twice a month and shooting in a dark indoor range. And the fact that some ranges out here. Mainly the one I go to because it is close to me. Only let you keep the target in the light which is like around 25 feet give or take. I want to start close to see how I group then work my way out. But can't do that or I will get the boot.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:38 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh and I have the P226 dark elite. And my fingers fit on it great. Also with the glock21 and M9. I shoot the glock the best. Don't know why though.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #9

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Where in IL are you? My two local ranges I go to will let you put the target any distance you like. I'd be happy to meet up and shoot with you. I might not have the experience of most of the guys (and gals) here, but having another set of eyes watch is always good.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm in Bridgeview, which ranges u go to? Yeah that would be cool. Like I said, just gotta get some more cash. We're looking for a house now, so every bit of money I spend on shooting, she goes nuts. Lol.