Problem with new Bersa Thunder .380
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Problem with new Bersa Thunder .380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Problem with new Bersa Thunder .380

I just bought a new Bersa Thunder .380 for my girlfriend.
We are in California, so there was the usual 10-day wait.
Picked up he gun yesterday and put the first 100 rounds through it.

I have failure-to-feed issues 80% of the time.

I only used factory ball ammo (American Eagle). 4 out of 5 times, the slide would stay open afer every shot, forcing me to cycle the slide (pull it back the little bit more of the travel left in it and then let go) and a round would chamber. Fire. Same thing would happen again.

The gun is obviously under warranty, but shipping it etc. would be a pain in the a$$ and I'd rather avoid it.

Have any other Bersa Thunder users experienced anything like this?
The gun store / gun range does not have an on-site gunsmith and was little help other than to confirm I had a problem.

Any suggestions/feedback would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Break it down, clean it, inspect it and oil it. Then try again. try a different ammo maybe.
Did you clean and oil it before shooting it?

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvanosta View Post
I just bought a new Bersa Thunder .380 for my girlfriend.
We are in California, so there was the usual 10-day wait.
Picked up he gun yesterday and put the first 100 rounds through it.

I have failure-to-feed issues 80% of the time.

I only used factory ball ammo (American Eagle). 4 out of 5 times, the slide would stay open afer every shot, forcing me to cycle the slide (pull it back the little bit more of the travel left in it and then let go) and a round would chamber. Fire. Same thing would happen again.

The gun is obviously under warranty, but shipping it etc. would be a pain in the a$$ and I'd rather avoid it.

Have any other Bersa Thunder users experienced anything like this?
The gun store / gun range does not have an on-site gunsmith and was little help other than to confirm I had a problem.

Any suggestions/feedback would be appreciated.
I had this issue and I did have to send it in. They throated the barrel's chamber and polished it and the feed ramp.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 05-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #4

Thank you for the quick responses.
1. I checked the gun prior to shooting and it seemed oiled/lubricated. I did not clean or lube it myself.
2. Mesinge: do you recall who you contacted before sending it in? Did they provide a shipping form or an RMA number?

Old 05-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Thank you for the quick responses.
1. I checked the gun prior to shooting and it seemed oiled/lubricated. I did not clean or lube it myself.
2. Mesinge: do you recall who you contacted before sending it in? Did they provide a shipping form or an RMA number?
Packing oil shouldnt be considered "oiled and lubed." That stuff is a thick crud to keep it from corrosion. I always make it a rule, I NEVER fire a gun until I know I have cleaned it. And if I dont shoot it, I clean them all once a month despite if its been shot or not. Just my two cents.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Mesinge: do you recall who you contacted before sending it in? Did they provide a shipping form or an RMA number?
Colorado Gunworks is one of their warrenty centers.
I had a one week turn-around. 1-970-482-4867

Here the letter I sent them along with the Gun:

Quote:
Colorado Gunworks
2631 West Vine Drive
Fort Collins, CO 80521
970-482-4867
In re: Bersa Thunder 380

I purchased the weapon on September 29, 2010 and the weapon continues to jam after nearly 300 rounds fired. To date I have tried Magtech .380 ACP 95 Grain FMJ, Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics Ammunition .380 ACP 95 Grain FMJ, Speer Lawman .380 ACP 95 Grain TMJ, Sellier & Bellot .380 ACP 92 Grain FMJ, and Fiocchi Extrema .380 ACP 90 Grain Hornady XTP JHP with no success. I can hardly make it through a single magazine before the weapon jams again. The most common jam is a Failure-to-Feed followed closely by stove-piping. I have been cleaning the weapon with Hoppe's #9 and using Snake Oil lube on the weapon as well. It is cleaned after every shooting session and has never been fired with reloads.

My return address is:

blah-blah-blah
blah-blah-blah
blah-blah-blah

mesinge2

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 05-09-2011 at 04:21 PM.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Make sure your grip isn't the issue before sending it anywhere. A friend of mine bought a new compact 9mm and couldn't get more than two rounds through it with out a jam, me and another shooter didn't have a problem emptying the mag. The owner was making contact with the slide stop causing the slide to lock open.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:35 AM   #8

Liked 1978 Times on 1255 Posts
Likes Given: 1078

Yes, cleaning a Bersa prior to shooting is very important. It's usually loaded with shipping grease. Clean it well and try again before sending it in for work.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #9

What ammo are you shooting? Change to another brand of FMJ and see if it makes a difference. Do not use russian steel case.

Have you stripped it down to clean it before shooting? Have to remove shipping grease in the gun.

Did you also clean out the mag? The mag has shipping gunk in it as well as the gun.

If you took the slide off did you put the spring back on in the same direction as you took it off. The spring has a narrower end.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #10

Thanks for the feedback.

I shot two brands of factory FMJ ball ammo. One was American Eagle and I forgot what the other one was.

I have since then thoroughly cleaned and lubed the gun and will be trying it again with the second mag and different kinds of ammo.