Problem with a Kimber
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Problem with a Kimber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Problem with a Kimber

Our local gun shop is finally back up and running after an unfortunate fire last year, and they now have gun rentals again. My wife and I tried out a couple of different guns today, one of which was a Kimber Carry II. I had a problem with that gun that I've never run into with anything else I shot (which admittedly isn't that much). On average about 1 in 4 rounds the ejected shell casing would fly straight back and smack me in the forehead. I don't know if it was the gun, or if I was doing something wrong or what, but now I have 3 nice crescent-shaped burn marks on my head.

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-13-2011, 08:22 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i'm glade I can say I have never the same experience with any of my Kimbers,(3) I have nothing but good things to say.I average about 7-800 rounds a week. however, I'm sure that someone will be allong shortly to offer some help, as for me I would tend to look at the ejector , but luckly it was a rental.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Last edited by rigjumpr; 08-13-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #3

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Very common thing with new 1911s. The issue is the extractor is slightly out of tune. Just Google "1911 Extractor Tuning" and you'll find all kinds of posts and articles on how to tune your extractor. Another option would be to just keep shooting it. Wear eye protection and it will likely smooth itself out in a couple hundred rounds or so. Third option is call Kimber and have it sent back for warranty work.

Last edited by Olympus; 08-13-2011 at 08:30 PM.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

see, I told you someone would come by...... EXTRACTOR not ejector as I stated.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 08-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #5

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbwolverine View Post
Our local gun shop is finally back up and running after an unfortunate fire last year, and they now have gun rentals again. My wife and I tried out a couple of different guns today, one of which was a Kimber Carry II. I had a problem with that gun that I've never run into with anything else I shot (which admittedly isn't that much). On average about 1 in 4 rounds the ejected shell casing would fly straight back and smack me in the forehead. I don't know if it was the gun, or if I was doing something wrong or what, but now I have 3 nice crescent-shaped burn marks on my head.
We have several Kimber 1911s in the house for both my wife and I and have no such issues. Have you shot many 1911s? The reason I ask is that many new shooters will just let the recoil of a 1911 ride high instead of controling it and that puts the ejected shells right by/at your head.

BTW the problem is exagerated with the Pro Carry II and other aluminum framed 1911s because of the light frame and heavy steel slide. I would bet on operator error.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:04 AM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Are you left handed?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-14-2011, 12:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
We have several Kimber 1911s in the house for both my wife and I and have no such issues. Have you shot many 1911s? The reason I ask is that many new shooters will just let the recoil of a 1911 ride high instead of controling it and that puts the ejected shells right by/at your head.

BTW the problem is exagerated with the Pro Carry II and other aluminum framed 1911s because of the light frame and heavy steel slide. I would bet on operator error.
That was the first 1911 I had fired. Now that I think about it, it did seem to happen more towards the end of the magazine. Maybe my hands/arms were getting tired and I wasn't controlling the recoil quite as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Are you left handed?
No, I'm right handed.

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:04 AM   #8

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbwolverine View Post
That was the first 1911 I had fired. Now that I think about it, it did seem to happen more towards the end of the magazine. Maybe my hands/arms were getting tired and I wasn't controlling the recoil quite as much.
That's probably about right. Next time try an all steel 1911 and try controlling recoil a little more. The right grip and stance makes all the difference in the world. Good luck!