Priced are too high on used guns
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Priced are too high on used guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Default Priced are too high on used guns

Have been scanning the pages of our local ads for weeks looking to buy a used but decent full size 9mm for my son to use out at Frontsight Firearms Training Institute.

I have been offering sellers $350 cash and a Diamond Lifetime membership to Frontsight.

People think their used guns are made of gold and worth full retail price.

Is it me or are used guns overpriced?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-08-2012, 01:28 AM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

It's all about the market with the ones that know what they are doing. When guns get scarce prices go up. The others are likely people with sentimental value price issues.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #3

We are entering election year panic. Not gonna get any cheaper, at least not until we get a different President.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #4

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

it has been my experience used guns have always been overpriced unless you are that lucky guy who happens to run into people that just need cash right now so they come into the local tavern at happy hour and sell their inherited mint condition Winchester to some guy for 150 bucks, I have never been that lucky guy, ever.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:19 AM   #5

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I buy all my guns used usually off the local trade pages on Facebook. People do ask outrageous prices for guns and others offer outrageous money to buy, it's pretty much all bull. If I see a gun I'm interested in I send the owner a private message with the price I'm willing to pay, they almost always say no. I wait a few days and then I get a message or a call asking if my offer still stands, I've done very well this way and only pay what I'm willing to pay. If I lose one another will be along tomorrow.

Keep up with the trends, avoid the fads, take your time and do work you can be proud of always

Old 04-08-2012, 02:31 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 873 Times on 527 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Friend of mine had one of the NRA 1911's that he bought for 1200... just sold it for 3500. Guess my offer of $300 was a little low

Old 04-08-2012, 05:54 AM   #7

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

You've got to look harder, a full sized used 9mm can be found for $350. Pawn shops, gun shops, gun shows, local ads. And online it's not hard. CDNN has the S&W 5906 for $300.

As far as knocking the price down with a membership, if I were a seller I wouldn't be interested.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #8

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

The price of guns has been a hot topic for the past two years, and there does not seem to be any relief in sight for the next two. I noticed the high profile gun shops in Michigan raising their prices $350 on the cheap low caliber guns, and $500 on the new high caliber guns.

The only relief there is might be the small back yard FFLs who can order guns from a honest supplier. But, that might be a long shot. Even the guns I have would not go cheap because I would then have to replace them at a higher cost. I have the four basic calibers .380, 9mm, .40, and .45 replacement cost would be too high to sell them now.

Last edited by Ranger-6; 04-08-2012 at 07:50 AM.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Unfortunatly, I have to agree with what has been said previously. Still, there is some light at the end of the tunnel in the new gun market with a few of the lower priced lesser known makes such as SCCY and FMK. I've shot the SCCY (pronounced sky) and found it to be a pretty good alternative and for $299, reasonable. I'm in the process of evaluating the FMK 9c1, Gen 2 and so far its another good alternative 9mm. This one I sell for $399. It has a Glock feel to a degree and shoots fairly well. I'm waiting to get the optional combat trigger group to evaluate also, which has just finished R&D. This will make the 9c1 more appealing to more shooters.

I believe that if more give the newer players a chance, they might be pleasantly surprised with some of the lower priced offerings out there now and lose the notions about "name brand" guns being the only ones to buy. Maybe this might bring some sense to those used sellers who think they have gold. So why be compelled to buy used to save money if good new reasonably priced offerings are available.

Last edited by wjnfirearms; 04-08-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #10

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjnfirearms View Post
...So why be compelled to buy used to save money if good new reasonably priced offerings are available.
You are absolutely correct. I got the four basic Hi-Point calibers .380 CF, 9mm C9, .40 JCP, .45 JHP, and the 4595TS carbine; plus ammo for each gun for under $900. To beat it all, each of the guns shoot just fine.