Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Pretty sure I'm going to need a 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 01:57 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 255 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Default Pretty sure I'm going to need a 9mm

I finally got out to shoot the RIA and it is going to be expensive to shoot as much as my son and I like to shoot. We generally go through at least two bulk boxes of .22 per month and sometimes more. Add a couple of centerfire handguns in the mix and this is going to get expensive real fast.

I think I might have to pickup a 9mm to offset some of the ammo cost. I was at BPS this evening and noticed that the 250 round boxes were 1/2 the cost in 9mm as .45ACP. Both calibers would still be reloadable if I ever get setup with a reloader.

I did some research on .40S&W polymer framed handguns earlier and then bought the RIA. I'm really thinking about staying with a steel frame for a 9mm.

Anybody want to throw out some suggestions? 1911, maybe a CZ75 or what?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-14-2011, 02:07 AM   #2

You'll get too many suggestions for one to be useful. I'll say Glock. He'll say 1911 9mm. He'll say Ruger. He'll say Taurus. He'll say Sig.
Find a gun store with a range that has a wide selection and go shooting his guns.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:26 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 527 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggernomic View Post
You'll get too many suggestions for one to be useful. I'll say Glock. He'll say 1911 9mm. He'll say Ruger. He'll say Taurus. He'll say Sig.
Find a gun store with a range that has a wide selection and go shooting his guns.
you forgot Springfield Armory XD & XDM

I found a local reloader whose ammo ROCKS. picking up 2k rnds for $300. Cleaner and more accurate than commercial.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:56 AM   #4

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
I finally got out to shoot the RIA and it is going to be expensive to shoot as much as my son and I like to shoot. We generally go through at least two bulk boxes of .22 per month and sometimes more. Add a couple of centerfire handguns in the mix and this is going to get expensive real fast.

I think I might have to pickup a 9mm to offset some of the ammo cost. I was at BPS this evening and noticed that the 250 round boxes were 1/2 the cost in 9mm as .45ACP. Both calibers would still be reloadable if I ever get setup with a reloader.

I did some research on .40S&W polymer framed handguns earlier and then bought the RIA. I'm really thinking about staying with a steel frame for a 9mm.

Anybody want to throw out some suggestions? 1911, maybe a CZ75 or what?
I have a CZ 75 compact...love it. Beretta 92 or Springer XD (polymer) are a few other nice affordable guns. SIG 226 or Browning HiPower are excellent as well, just a tad more pricey. Have you considered a .22lr topend for your 1911?

Conversion Kit Adjustable Sights 1911 Government 22 Long Rifle Blue

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 12-14-2011 at 03:01 AM.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:06 AM   #5

I try not to dwell on regrets, still, there are decisions in my life that I would make differently if I had the chance. The CZ75 is most definitely NOT one I would change. Get thee to the gun store and buy one tout suite.

-- boomenshutzen

"If some monster tries to rape or murder a woman I care about, I don’t want him to see the flickering light of a candle. I want him to see a muzzle flash, from the front." -- Massad Ayoob

Old 12-14-2011, 03:19 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 255 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
I have a CZ 75 compact...love it. Beretta 92 or Springer XD (polymer) are a few other nice affordable guns. SIG 226 or Browning HiPower are excellent as well, just a tad more pricey. Have you considered a .22lr topend for your 1911?
I have a Colt/Walther 1911 in .22. I'm leaning towards searching out a 1911 in 9mm. A Springfield XD or Ruger SR9 or Stoeger 8000 might be consideration, if I don't want to go up into the $700+ range.

I also recently picked up a Taurus 94 small frame 9 shot .22 revolver. My 11 year old shot it over the weekend and was grouping nicely with it. He's all over with the Colt. The Taurus has the better sights and he was really liking the revolver.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:27 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4521 Times on 2377 Posts
Likes Given: 259

If you shoot that much you really should reload. It brimgs the cost of 45acp below cheap factory 9mm. I pay right at 90$ per 500 of 45acp if im remembering right

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-14-2011, 03:30 AM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1909 Times on 1044 Posts
Likes Given: 699

Metal framed 9mm? Here's my list based upon price points

$500: CZ 75

$800: Browning Hi Power

$1100: Springfield EMP

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 12-14-2011, 05:31 AM   #9

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Have you thought about a .22 1911 platform such as the GSG or Sig? If you're concerned about price, you can pick one of those up from $300+ that should keep the price of ammo down. By know means am I straying you away from a bigger caliber, just throwing in my .02

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 12-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Don't forget about Beretta's either. A solid 92FS platform of any variation is always a good bet. They'll run forever and arn't too badly priced. I'm still shooting my grandfather's 92..

Plus you can choose from an American model or a Italian model, to some it makes all the difference...