Pressures of a .40S&W

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Pressures of a .40S&W

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 08:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Pressures of a .40S&W

This is not a caliber debate thread.

Everytime someone mentions a.40S&W someone always brings up the pressure issue. My question is, is it really an issue at all?

Most all pistols are pretty overbuilt anyway. One would think that a pistol made for .40S&W is more than capable of handling the pressures it makes when fired.

I'm not worried about the pressures, are you?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm one of the people that will bring it up. Am I afraid of the pressures? No, I just don't like it. I don't like the snappy recoil caused by the faster rise in pressure found in 40s. I also, personal preference here, simply do not like 40 caliber.

I believe most companies who chamber a pistol in 40 make it strong enough to handle the pressures created. That is unless that company starts it's name with a G.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

It's a moot point to me. I'm just not a huge fan of .40, even though I have 2 of them. The one good thing about .40 is that ammo is generally never in short supply - which is why I own mine.

Glocks use "a looser, not fully supported" chamber to get their phenominal reliability and this makes the brass on high pressure rounds take more stress than low pressure rounds. This is an issue for reloaders but not really for shooters...

Old 09-22-2009, 04:12 AM   #4

I have to agree with you about the pistols being able to handle the pressures. The .40 is my favorite handgun caliber to date. I think that what makes the recoil "snappy" is more of the firearm than the round. Lighter pistols will have more felt recoil than heavier ones. Just my .02

Old 09-22-2009, 10:57 PM   #5

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangman View Post
I have to agree with you about the pistols being able to handle the pressures. The .40 is my favorite handgun caliber to date. I think that what makes the recoil "snappy" is more of the firearm than the round. Lighter pistols will have more felt recoil than heavier ones. Just my .02
Your'e right on in this, my XDm even with a longer barrel than my Stoeger has a "snappier" recoil. Some of the difference may be in the design of the two weapons as the Stoeger pushes straight back with next to no barrel rise. Personally the recoil of the 40 S&W really doesn't bother me, maybe because of the hundreds of rounds I've shot with my 44 Redhawk. I handload for most all of my weapons and found that I can get high velocities with lower pressures in the 40 S&W cartridge using Hi-Skor 800-X powder, approximately 6000 psi less. I have had to throw away some brass that had been fired in Glocks because they had been so bulged in the unsupported area as to have become dangerously thin. I bought my autos because of the availability of 40 S&W ammo otherwise I would have bought 45 autos, 1911's preferably. P.S. Pressure doesn't really bother me either.

Last edited by Viking; 09-22-2009 at 10:59 PM.