possibly buying new handgun - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > possibly buying new handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 01:11 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerlbf406
Well I went to the only gun shop I know of that will actually let me look and hold a gun right now since I'm still waiting on my FOID card. Its the same dealer that had the used Glock 22, and after looking looking at all of their guns and prices, and actually holding about 5 different kinds, I decided to go ahead and go for the used Glock 22 Gen 3 they had in stock. Price before tax is just under $400 but that's with a double mag holder, a single mag holder and 2 - 15 round mags. Although I know the ammo isn't as cheap as the 9mm, I couldn't justify the higher cost of a 9mm since I only shoot once or twice a month and will probably only go through 1 box of 50 each time I shoot. It is definitely a lot lighter then the Hi-Point though and is more about the weight I was looking for. I looked at a sub-compact and a compact pistol and neither felt right holding them in my large hand and the Glock 22 felt perfect in my hands. I just hope I'm just as happy shooting it. My father used his FOID to go ahead and put it in his name like we did with the Hi-Point and I'll be picking it up Tuesday. There's a mandatory 72 hour hold that IL requires, so that would be Sun, and they aren't open again until Monday, so I could get it then, but I won't have the cash to pay for it until Tuesday so that's when we agreed to go back and pay for it and pick it up.
Good for you! Illinois sucks for gun laws huh? Come on up here to michigan. You can actually shoot your gun the same day you buy it. No waiting. And we can conceal. Just don't go looking for a job.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:26 AM   #22

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 5

believe me, if I could just pack up and move I'd do it in a heart beat, sadly I'm not that well off financially to move anywhere. However it don't matter as I'm going to have my guns and soot with or without the states approval. No one tells me I can't have a gun and I know the laws by the back my hand and know where all the loop holes are, so I know how skirt the laws and get away with it. Taking an administration of justice class in school, working as a security officer for 4 years and working side by side with cops most of the time, I got to know the laws quite well and it does pay off.

Smith & Wesson 30-1
Taurus Model 85
EAA Windicator
Mossberg 500
Winchester 1400 MK II
Marlin 60
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger Target 22/45 MKIII
DPMS Oracle AR-15

Previous Firearms:
Hi-Point JHP
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger LCP
Taurus PT-25
Cobra FS380CB
Cobra CA380BB
Glock 22

Old 10-28-2011, 01:34 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerlbf406
believe me, if I could just pack up and move I'd do it in a heart beat, sadly I'm not that well off financially to move anywhere. However it don't matter as I'm going to have my guns and soot with or without the states approval. No one tells me I can't have a gun and I know the laws by the back my hand and know where all the loop holes are, so I know how skirt the laws and get away with it. Taking an administration of justice class in school, working as a security officer for 4 years and working side by side with cops most of the time, I got to know the laws quite well and it does pay off.
Another good for you! Personal protection is a birth right. And often requires a firearm unfortunetly. Too bad big brother don't see it that way.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 70 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 108

If you are on a budget the 9mm is the best way to go. Is there a Academy Sports nearby, they have the S&W Sigma on sale for $279.

My readings of history convinces me that most bad government results from to much government.....Thomas Jefferson
Being Ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn............Benjamin Franklin
If Barack Obama is the answer, the how damn stupid was the question.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #25

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
I jave to ask though, have you heard of the taurus pt 145 millenium pro? Its a great 45 cal in a way smaller package but still carries 10 on the mag...and at only 350 (in phoenix) its pretty hard to beat, you should do yourself a favor and check it out!
+5 on that suggestion! The PT145 is a fabulous gun for CCW but of course you aren't looking for a CCW gun in the Land Of Lincoln (they stole him from Ky ). Man you couldn't pay me enough to live in that state. I used to travel across it fairly often but I won't even go there now. I usually had my pistol with me back then but I was a wild and crazy guy in those days and preferred going to jail instead of the morgue. I was going to St. Louis and just trying to cross town on the interstate there was taking your life in your hands at the time. I had gang bangers shadow me all the way through town to make sure I didn't stop I guess. I mean they would drive right beside me in a big Caddy with 6 guys in the car with all of them staring right at me including the driver. No way I was going through there unarmed!

The PT145 is a great gun but you're looking for a shooter's gun. I'd suggest at least a 9mm if you expect to get good accuracy. It's just harder to get good accuracy from a smaller caliber gun in my experience though I have seen a few that would shoot accurately.

Personally I'd suggest you get a 1911 for what you're describing. I don't particularly like them as a carry gun (my personal choice - I know others love them) but for a target gun they are very hard to beat especially in .45. A Rock Island 1911 would be a good choice for a shooter on a budget. They're inexpensive for a 1911 but they still shoot very well.

I know .45 ammo is more expensive than 9mm but not by that much. It depends on what you're doing I guess. For plinking you will probably save some money. For target shooting not so much. But IMO there's a reason people shoot targets with .45. I think it's been developed for target shooting and you can generally find more accurate ammo as a result. I've shot lots of both and IMO a .45 will be more accurate when you're shooting guns and ammo that are about equally priced. Yes you can save some money with a 9mm but at the price of accuracy IMO. Now excuse me while I get in my bunker and wait for the bombs to drop.

Actually there won't be any inherent difference in accuracy between the two rounds. Either can be made to shoot accurately. All I'm saying is that more research and development has gone into making .45 ammo more accurate because it is used far more often in competitions. I really have no way of knowing this for sure. I do know what my experience has been and in my experience a good .45 is more accurate than a good 9mm. I've shot very well made guns in both calibers and it's been my experience that the .45 is generally more accurate. I'm sure plenty of people will disagree.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #26

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

If you are looking for something to plink cans with in the country, have you thought of going rimfire? Very cheap to shoot and a lot of fun. I would suggest checking out the Browning Buck Mark or Ruger Mark III. If you want centerfire, stay with 9mm. The Ruger SR9c is a fine choice. .380 ammo is more expensive than 9mm.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:12 AM   #27

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts

I appreciate all of the opinions here, however I decided to limit my search to the only gun shop that will let me look and feel a firearm without my FOID card and out of what they had in stock and there pricing I decided to go with the Glock 22 and I just picked it up today. I'll keep all the thoughts in mind though whenever I go to purchase another gun which hopefully by then I'll have my FOID and can go anywhere.

Smith & Wesson 30-1
Taurus Model 85
EAA Windicator
Mossberg 500
Winchester 1400 MK II
Marlin 60
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger Target 22/45 MKIII
DPMS Oracle AR-15

Previous Firearms:
Hi-Point JHP
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger LCP
Taurus PT-25
Cobra FS380CB
Cobra CA380BB
Glock 22

Old 11-02-2011, 12:43 AM   #28

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

Congrats on your purchase. As an owner of an M&P9, I like my gun very much. It shoots very well and with 17 in the magazine, I can put a lot of lead on target if I need to. But, even 9mm costs if you are just out "plinking". As a cost savings, I am looking at investing in a .22 for plinking and target practice. I can get 525 rounds of .22 for less than the cost of 50 rounds of 9mm.

I am looking at an M&P22 so that the point and feel is as close my SD pistol. I think is would benefit my accuracy to practice with a similar gun.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #29

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You should be happy with your Glock. I went looking for one myself but ended up with my Taurus instead. I just can't find a Glock that fits my hands but they are very nice guns. I would be glad to own one myself if I could just find one that fit me. Congrats.