possibly buying new handgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > possibly buying new handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 04:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default possibly buying new handgun

I'm looking to purchase a cheaper handgun. Don't really much much preference on caliber other than something that is cheaper then .45 ACP. The whole purpose of the firearm is for plinking and target practice and possibly home self-defense if ever needed. I will not be carrying this firearm with me unless going to or from a friends house to shoot on his rural property or at the gun range, the only way I will start to carry a firearm with me is if the laws in Illinois changes and they allow concealed carry. The only gun I have right now is a Hi-Point .45 ACP pistol, which is a great weapon, however I'm wanting something that has a little cheaper ammo and less weight. I have found 3 different firearms to consider in my price range. 1st one being a used Glock 22 full size .40 caliber. 2nd being a new Taurus TCP compact .380 caliber. 3rd being a new Rugur LCP compact .380 caliber. I have heard good things about all 3 brands and I know that the Taurus and Rugur both are the lighting and smallest of the 3. Research shows me the .380 auto ammo is just a dollar or two cheaper then the .40 S&W ammo. I can probably pick up the Glock for $350 which research shows me is a fair price and is at an Illinois gun dealer, while the other 2 guns are $300-$310 and are a Missouri dealer, so I would have to get it transferred to an Illinois dealer and pay their transfer fee. Which gun should I go for? Also keep in mind that I do weigh 350 pounds so I have bigger hands, and since I haven't ever held a compact gun, I'm not sure how comfortable one would be in my big hands.

Colt Model (N) 1908
Smith & Wesson 30-1
Taurus Model 85
EAA Windicator
Mossberg 500
Winchester 1400 MK II
Marlin 60
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger Target 22/45 MKIII

Previous Firearms:
Hi-Point JHP
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger LCP
Taurus PT-25
Cobra FS380CB
Cobra CA380BB

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-27-2011, 04:28 AM   #2

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

I would try a glock 19. Those .380's wont feel right in a larger hand. The glock 22 is a great pistol, but ammo isnt much cheaper than the .45 or much less weight.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:37 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1Victor View Post
I would try a glock 19. Those .380's wont feel right in a larger hand. The glock 22 is a great pistol, but ammo isnt much cheaper than the .45 or much less weight.

Agreed on the 9mm being cheaper enough to really notice the difference. However, if this is just to be a plinker, i would look for a good used .38/.357 revolver. Why plink with a combat handgun or a purse gun? My Ruger GP100 is almost certainly my favorite plinker and would be a fine nightstand gun. Of course, with its 6" barrel, it wouldn't be easy to conceal without a jacket and shoulder holster. I paid $400 for one, new with a minor blemish. You could pay even less for a .38 only revolver, if you don't mind picking up a used one. (there is advice on used revolver purchases stickied on the forum)

4" new at Bud's, $486 http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_49_76/products_id/70255 I think you could find one for less, especially used.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 10-27-2011 at 04:39 AM.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:53 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I think Taurus isn't that great of a company and I don't like ruger (but my uncle loves). So I'm of no help in that category. But maybe I can persuade you on the ammunition sizes.

If you want a .40, your right about the ammo being a little cheaper. Plus it will be easier to shoot. It's a great round and the whole reason why it was invented was to have the advantages of both 9mm and .45 put together. Most all police departments have this as their standard issue round.

But honestly I wouldn't even bother with a .380. That's a chicks round (no offense ). I would go with a 9mm if you want one of the smaller sizes. It takes all the benefits of it's "little brother" and then injects itself with steroids. lol

9 is super easy to shoot (most of the time), pretty cheap, and would work very well as a self defense handgun if need be. You can get 500 rounds of good metal in 9 mill for $100 and that's in Cali! .380 is the step up for kids from a .22, don't even waste your time.

Remember this though when you finally decide on a piece to pack heat: when it comes to guns, most of the time, you get what you pay for.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:54 AM   #5

I have shot a .38 revolver before and honestly it was alright but didn't really like it that much. For some reason I get more thrill out of a semi-auto then I do a revolver. I'd have no problem getting a Glock 19 as it would be the cheapest probably for ammo, but I don't want to spend $500 on a hangun and I have checked every locally and the best price I found on a used Glock was that G22.

Colt Model (N) 1908
Smith & Wesson 30-1
Taurus Model 85
EAA Windicator
Mossberg 500
Winchester 1400 MK II
Marlin 60
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger Target 22/45 MKIII

Previous Firearms:
Hi-Point JHP
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger LCP
Taurus PT-25
Cobra FS380CB
Cobra CA380BB

Old 10-27-2011, 04:59 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you're looking for a cheap pistol for plinking only.and You already have a hi-point .45 and happy with it... just pick up a hi-point 9mm or .380. You cant go wrong.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 10-27-2011, 05:10 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja View Post
If you're looking for a cheap pistol for plinking only.and You already have a hi-point .45 and happy with it... just pick up a hi-point 9mm or .380. You cant go wrong.
Yeah they're not bad, except for the fact that hi-point guns are already made new with parts they found in a dumpster.

Half of these people now hate me lol

Old 10-27-2011, 05:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja View Post
The Hi-Point is definitely the cheapest, however even their compact 9mm is only 1/2" smaller then the glock and weighs 6+ ounces more then the glock 22 that I'm looking at. I've held my dad's Hi-point 9mm before he sold it and even it is still quite large, clunky and HEAVY. One of the reasons I want something else is the fact that Hi-Point weighs 3+ pounds when loaded and I want something lighter.
Colt Model (N) 1908
Smith & Wesson 30-1
Taurus Model 85
EAA Windicator
Mossberg 500
Winchester 1400 MK II
Marlin 60
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger Target 22/45 MKIII

Previous Firearms:
Hi-Point JHP
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger LCP
Taurus PT-25
Cobra FS380CB
Cobra CA380BB

Old 10-27-2011, 05:22 AM   #9

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

If you want the glock 22, then get it. If it the price and caliber you want then go for it. It sounds like you already made the decision before you asked for our input.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1Victor View Post
If you want the glock 22, then get it. If it the price and caliber you want then go for it. It sounds like you already made the decision before you asked for our input.

Actually, I haven't made up my mind yet as I am still considering the Rugur and Taurus. However there has been a valid point brought up and that is how it will feel in my hands being that I have larger hands. I also had the thought of waiting around until December for the gun show to come around and seeing what they have there and maybe picking something up. Think I'm going to call to find out some more info tomorrow on that Glock 22, make a trip to the gun store to possibly look at it and maybe even look over a new glock 27 or glock 30 while I'm there and then decide if i want to go ahead and purchase something cheaper like the Glock 22 or if I want to save up my money til the gun show and maybe pick me up a new glock. Got some serious thinking to do though.
Colt Model (N) 1908
Smith & Wesson 30-1
Taurus Model 85
EAA Windicator
Mossberg 500
Winchester 1400 MK II
Marlin 60
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger Target 22/45 MKIII

Previous Firearms:
Hi-Point JHP
Sccy CPX-2