polymer with steel, better than alluminum?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > polymer with steel, better than alluminum?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default polymer with steel, better than alluminum?

i recently bought a stoeger cougar 40s&w, i love the gun and after 200 flawless rds i guess it loves me too. a friend of mine bought a sigma 40 at about the same time and shooting the other day he commented on something i've never thought of. he said the polymer guns with steel rails are superior to alluminum framed guns. he said his sigma will be going strong long after i've replaced the cougar. how true is this?, after the break in i will be shooting about 50rds or so a month. thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3106 Times on 1785 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

For the normal shooter, there should not be any worries about what will last longer between the two.

Now if you wanted to prove something.......
take precise measurements of the rails of both firearms.

Let him purchase the ammo and get into a shoot-off. Which ever breaks first would be the stopping point.

Then take precise measurements again.

(At least you will have fun in trying to find out which is better.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #3

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
For the normal shooter, there should not be any worries about what will last longer between the two.

Now if you wanted to prove something.......
take precise measurements of the rails of both firearms.

Let him purchase the ammo and get into a shoot-off. Which ever breaks first would be the stopping point.

Then take precise measurements again.

(At least you will have fun in trying to find out which is better.)
lol, that would be fun. except i can shoot my stoeger faster than he can his sigma so i would shoot more rds. the sigma is harder to get back on target than the cougar. he even admits in shooting that the stoeger wins but he said lasting strength goes to the sigma.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
lol, that would be fun. except i can shoot my stoeger faster than he can his sigma so i would shoot more rds. the sigma is harder to get back on target than the cougar. he even admits in shooting that the stoeger wins but he said lasting strength goes to the sigma.
If he picked up the tab for all the ammo so he could prove it.........who cares???

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 05-18-2013, 01:19 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 796

The Ruger P95 doesn't have a rail. It is very dependable. It has been tested in both Afghanistan and Iraq. In fact, the P95 is what is being issued to the Iraqi and Afghan police. People in humid climates love the stainless steel model. They don't corrode or rust and it requires a minimal amount of care in comparison to pistils made with steel contruction. I own a P95. I have no idea of how many rounds I have fired with it. I have shot at least 30 IDPA matches with the pistol. Then I have fired at least 2,000 rounds just plinking and target practicing.

The material the gun is made of doesn't really matter. The gun must be balanced so one piece doesn't absorb all the wear. If it is balanced well enough no parts take a lot of wear.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 05-18-2013, 01:30 AM   #6

Liked 2395 Times on 1401 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Sig, Beretta, Colt, Smith and Wesson, Ruger and many other manufacturers use aluminum frames and steel slides. They seem to hold up pretty well. Most folks aren't going to shoot their frame rails out.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:26 AM   #7

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Sounds like penee envy to me. Who wouldn't take a Cougar over a Sigma in a heart beat? ;D

Also sounds like pure BS! Pretty sure testing is done on these things before they mass produce them, to ensure quality and stamina.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:29 AM   #8

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Sounds like penee envy to me. Who wouldn't take a Cougar over a Sigma in a heart beat? ;D

Also sounds like pure BS! Pretty sure testing is done on these things before they mass produce them, to ensure quality and stamina.
I am that guy....just saying...lol

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 05-18-2013, 02:38 AM   #9

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apwvsd40ve View Post

I am that guy....just saying...lol
Lol

You and anyone who prefers striker fired guns. Still baffling to me, but it takes all kinds.

Ps, I shot my friend's Sigma several times, great gun.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:48 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

For the record, with my experience with the numerous type of firearms I've had in my possession...

I would still say that (1) the statement does not make any reference to a creditable source (so it is hearsay and not admissable), (2) it was said in the taunting guise of "Mine is better than yours" (proclamation without proof and not admissable), and (3) the unwillingness to address the issue and demonstrate proof of statement (forfeiture of professed statement) that the appropriate course of action is....

To nod your head and grunt like you agree just to shut him up!

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

axxe55 Likes This