Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   polymer with steel, better than alluminum? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/polymer-steel-better-than-alluminum-90836/)

old fart 05-17-2013 06:28 PM

polymer with steel, better than alluminum?

i recently bought a stoeger cougar 40s&w, i love the gun and after 200 flawless rds i guess it loves me too. a friend of mine bought a sigma 40 at about the same time and shooting the other day he commented on something i've never thought of. he said the polymer guns with steel rails are superior to alluminum framed guns. he said his sigma will be going strong long after i've replaced the cougar. how true is this?, after the break in i will be shooting about 50rds or so a month. thanks

danf_fl 05-17-2013 07:28 PM

For the normal shooter, there should not be any worries about what will last longer between the two.

Now if you wanted to prove something.......
take precise measurements of the rails of both firearms.

Let him purchase the ammo and get into a shoot-off. Which ever breaks first would be the stopping point.

Then take precise measurements again.

(At least you will have fun in trying to find out which is better.)

old fart 05-17-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1249842)
For the normal shooter, there should not be any worries about what will last longer between the two.

Now if you wanted to prove something.......
take precise measurements of the rails of both firearms.

Let him purchase the ammo and get into a shoot-off. Which ever breaks first would be the stopping point.

Then take precise measurements again.

(At least you will have fun in trying to find out which is better.)

lol, that would be fun. except i can shoot my stoeger faster than he can his sigma so i would shoot more rds. the sigma is harder to get back on target than the cougar. he even admits in shooting that the stoeger wins but he said lasting strength goes to the sigma.

danf_fl 05-18-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old fart (Post 1250062)
lol, that would be fun. except i can shoot my stoeger faster than he can his sigma so i would shoot more rds. the sigma is harder to get back on target than the cougar. he even admits in shooting that the stoeger wins but he said lasting strength goes to the sigma.

If he picked up the tab for all the ammo so he could prove it.........who cares???

John_Deer 05-18-2013 12:19 AM

The Ruger P95 doesn't have a rail. It is very dependable. It has been tested in both Afghanistan and Iraq. In fact, the P95 is what is being issued to the Iraqi and Afghan police. People in humid climates love the stainless steel model. They don't corrode or rust and it requires a minimal amount of care in comparison to pistils made with steel contruction. I own a P95. I have no idea of how many rounds I have fired with it. I have shot at least 30 IDPA matches with the pistol. Then I have fired at least 2,000 rounds just plinking and target practicing.

The material the gun is made of doesn't really matter. The gun must be balanced so one piece doesn't absorb all the wear. If it is balanced well enough no parts take a lot of wear.

SSGN_Doc 05-18-2013 12:30 AM

Sig, Beretta, Colt, Smith and Wesson, Ruger and many other manufacturers use aluminum frames and steel slides. They seem to hold up pretty well. Most folks aren't going to shoot their frame rails out.

BeyondTheBox 05-18-2013 01:26 AM

Sounds like penee envy to me. Who wouldn't take a Cougar over a Sigma in a heart beat? ;D

Also sounds like pure BS! Pretty sure testing is done on these things before they mass produce them, to ensure quality and stamina.

apwvsd40ve 05-18-2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox (Post 1250177)
Sounds like penee envy to me. Who wouldn't take a Cougar over a Sigma in a heart beat? ;D

Also sounds like pure BS! Pretty sure testing is done on these things before they mass produce them, to ensure quality and stamina.

I am that guy....just saying...lol

BeyondTheBox 05-18-2013 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apwvsd40ve (Post 1250184)

I am that guy....just saying...lol

Lol

You and anyone who prefers striker fired guns. Still baffling to me, but it takes all kinds.

Ps, I shot my friend's Sigma several times, great gun.

danf_fl 05-18-2013 01:48 AM

For the record, with my experience with the numerous type of firearms I've had in my possession...

I would still say that (1) the statement does not make any reference to a creditable source (so it is hearsay and not admissable), (2) it was said in the taunting guise of "Mine is better than yours" (proclamation without proof and not admissable), and (3) the unwillingness to address the issue and demonstrate proof of statement (forfeiture of professed statement) that the appropriate course of action is....

To nod your head and grunt like you agree just to shut him up! :)