Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > polymer handgun era

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 01:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 110 Times on 82 Posts

Default polymer handgun era

When I first got interested in handguns all I wanted was a 1911 and beretta 92fs. After I acquired those I said what the heck I will try a glock and see what all the plastic gun hype is about. Ive never stopped buying polymer guns ever since. I though about it the other day and realized that 5 out of my last 6 handgun purchases have been polymer. My next will probably be a p09 duty so that will be 6 out of 7. I personally prefer plastic guns do to weight and capacity. And now that everyone is making reliable polymer guns there is no limit to how many I might own when its said and done. this is the evolution of handguns. some don't like it but I do. Now I still love my good ole 1911's and sig p series weapons but right now polymer guns have my attention. does anybody else feel this way?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2013, 01:28 AM   #2

Liked 696 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 224

What you say about those black plastic guns is true. They work well, many I have shot were at least equal in accuracy, they are lighter, and many have larger capacity magazines. But some are like me. Though I have the ability to shoot them accurately I detest the triggers on every one I have shot. Also I want blued steel for all my guns. If I pistol whip someone I do not want my gun to bounce off their head, I want it to put a dent in their head.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

People Like This 
Old 09-14-2013, 01:43 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5108 Times on 2658 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones45 View Post
does anybody else feel this way?
not about poly pistols.

what i DO like and seem to be collecting a lot of are very good ccw pistols. somy are poly some aluminum some steel but all are geared towards ccw.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-14-2013, 01:46 AM   #4

Blued steel makes for a pretty handgun and blunt force of an all steel handgun provides an effective pistol whipping, I can't argue that lol. Right now though Im just in the plastic gun mood I guess. I do have both so im not knocking all steel, but my collection has become mostly plastic as the all steel is now in the minority in my home

Old 09-14-2013, 01:48 AM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Anymore I simply buy something I don't currently have. Though I don't have a great interest in poly frame pistols I would like a FNP or FNX.
I usually lean to alloy frames when looking to lose some weight.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-14-2013, 01:52 AM   #6

Liked 2140 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 2083

I carry a 1911 every day. Of all the poy guns that I've shot, I do like the xd's. Can't stand the glocks. I got a chance to shoot one of those springfield single stack compact 45's and it actually was pleasant to shoot and very accurate.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

not about poly pistols.

what i DO like and seem to be collecting a lot of are very good ccw pistols. somy are poly some aluminum some steel but all are geared towards ccw.
Yeah ccw pistols are also at an all time high and demand. Would you agree that MOST of those are plastic as well? Weight is definitely the reason for that

Old 09-14-2013, 01:56 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5108 Times on 2658 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones45 View Post
Yeah ccw pistols are also at an all time high and demand. Would you agree that MOST of those are plastic as well? Weight is definitely the reason for that
a great portion are poly but....

when you refine it to great carry guns the vast majority of those are aluminum framed versions of steel or fullsized guns.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-14-2013, 01:58 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3720 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I have a couple plastic guns. Personally I prefer a steel and wood gun. The weight makes it feel like a real gun, not a toy.

I don't mind poly guns, but they're just not my favorite. I actually own more of them than I do steel guns right now, but that'll change in the future.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:07 AM   #10

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Around the turn of the 20th Century cast metal guns became the rage. Casting gun parts and frames cut cost and upped production. You see these historical failures stacked at gun shows. Today we don't see them as new and unique we call them junk. What will next generation call plastic pistols.