Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   polymer handgun era (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/polymer-handgun-era-97020/)

jjones45 09-14-2013 01:20 AM

polymer handgun era

When I first got interested in handguns all I wanted was a 1911 and beretta 92fs. After I acquired those I said what the heck I will try a glock and see what all the plastic gun hype is about. Ive never stopped buying polymer guns ever since. I though about it the other day and realized that 5 out of my last 6 handgun purchases have been polymer. My next will probably be a p09 duty so that will be 6 out of 7. I personally prefer plastic guns do to weight and capacity. And now that everyone is making reliable polymer guns there is no limit to how many I might own when its said and done. this is the evolution of handguns. some don't like it but I do. Now I still love my good ole 1911's and sig p series weapons but right now polymer guns have my attention. does anybody else feel this way?

hiwall 09-14-2013 01:28 AM

What you say about those black plastic guns is true. They work well, many I have shot were at least equal in accuracy, they are lighter, and many have larger capacity magazines. But some are like me. Though I have the ability to shoot them accurately I detest the triggers on every one I have shot. Also I want blued steel for all my guns. If I pistol whip someone I do not want my gun to bounce off their head, I want it to put a dent in their head.

JonM 09-14-2013 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjones45 (Post 1371090)
does anybody else feel this way?

not about poly pistols.

what i DO like and seem to be collecting a lot of are very good ccw pistols. somy are poly some aluminum some steel but all are geared towards ccw.

jjones45 09-14-2013 01:46 AM

Blued steel makes for a pretty handgun and blunt force of an all steel handgun provides an effective pistol whipping, I can't argue that lol. Right now though Im just in the plastic gun mood I guess. I do have both so im not knocking all steel, but my collection has become mostly plastic as the all steel is now in the minority in my home

DrumJunkie 09-14-2013 01:48 AM

Anymore I simply buy something I don't currently have. Though I don't have a great interest in poly frame pistols I would like a FNP or FNX.
I usually lean to alloy frames when looking to lose some weight.

rjd3282 09-14-2013 01:52 AM

I carry a 1911 every day. Of all the poy guns that I've shot, I do like the xd's. Can't stand the glocks. I got a chance to shoot one of those springfield single stack compact 45's and it actually was pleasant to shoot and very accurate.

jjones45 09-14-2013 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1371129)

not about poly pistols.

what i DO like and seem to be collecting a lot of are very good ccw pistols. somy are poly some aluminum some steel but all are geared towards ccw.

Yeah ccw pistols are also at an all time high and demand. Would you agree that MOST of those are plastic as well? Weight is definitely the reason for that

JonM 09-14-2013 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjones45 (Post 1371147)
Yeah ccw pistols are also at an all time high and demand. Would you agree that MOST of those are plastic as well? Weight is definitely the reason for that

a great portion are poly but....

when you refine it to great carry guns the vast majority of those are aluminum framed versions of steel or fullsized guns.

JW357 09-14-2013 01:58 AM

I have a couple plastic guns. Personally I prefer a steel and wood gun. The weight makes it feel like a real gun, not a toy.

I don't mind poly guns, but they're just not my favorite. I actually own more of them than I do steel guns right now, but that'll change in the future.

nitestalker 09-14-2013 02:07 AM

Around the turn of the 20th Century cast metal guns became the rage. Casting gun parts and frames cut cost and upped production. You see these historical failures stacked at gun shows. Today we don't see them as new and unique we call them junk. What will next generation call plastic pistols.:confused: