Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Polymer frame vs. Alloy frame

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i never read anything about removing the "shok buffer" . i did however see where you should change them out after so many rounds , they are cheap enough , so why run the risk of cracking a frame , hell i even installed one on my hi-power and it's all steel as is my colt gold cup. not only will they save the frame they seem to reduce the felt recoil. the frame cracks i've seen on alloy guns has me convinced i wont own one at least not one i plan on carrying . the extra weight of a steel frame gun isn't so bad when you consider you never have to worry about damageing a frame at least thats the way i see it. i have only two alloy frame guns a high standard derringer in 22 magnum and a high standard mark 5 sentinal also in 22 mag. . thou i do own a glock model 23 c i can't bring myself to carry it . not a bad gun but it doesnt have the personality of a colt 45 or a hi power. the glock was a gift from my daughter who in her words " it's time to get into the 21st century"

Old 10-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Here's a something to think about: I just read @ Wilson Combat about the "Original" SHOK BUFF® and it says not recommended for 1911's with less than a 5" barrel. It doesn't state anywhere the need to remove except when worn out; about every 1000 rounds. I wonder why if it's manufacturers of 1911's don't include them with the gun if they are so beneficial? Granted, no cracks, no new sale, but it would make me feel their product was inferior and not want to purchase again from them. Guess I'll just stick with my all steel 3" or 4" 45 for carry or the 40S&W EMP. Going to do more research on these Buffers though, to see what if any issues people are having with them.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:31 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke-again124 View Post
Reliability and all things considered for ccw, which would you prefer and why?
Did you ever wonder why they make oversize grip screw bushings for 1911s? It's not because the holes wallow out on steel frames. Go polymer or go steel.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #24

Liked 279 Times on 243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willerfortheworld

It's all about alloy, sorry but plastic is for female pleasure toys not handguns.

Cz p01 ftw
Could be worse, could be Zamak! What's it for?

Ps> It's an alloy.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:07 AM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I prefer metal right now and I carry a full size
gov model for ccw. There are two reasons I mainly carry metal opposed to poly
1- Im use to it
2- the everyday gang banger p.o.s. has their hands on a poly semi auto or small revolver. That is something they are use to which generally means if people are use to something they aren't scared of it. If the situation presents itself and I have to pipe some one they will bear witness to the business end of a full size, heavy metal, gaping hole belonging to a .45 acp and they will fear it and I and I come out on top.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #26

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

I don't think if someone was pointing a gun at me, let alone shooting, that I would take time to think " sure is a nice steel framed piece he's got there". Just sayin.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:56 AM   #27

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I don't really like polymer guns but I have grown to accept them. I would prefer to carry a big revolver on my hip but such behavior isn't permitted in todays society.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-19-2012, 04:13 AM   #28

Liked 101 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
I don't really like polymer guns but I have grown to accept them. I would prefer to carry a big revolver on my hip but such behavior isn't permitted in todays society.
It isnt? No one ever told me that, been carrying an all steel, 4" barrel 357 for over a year

Old 10-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #29

Liked 279 Times on 243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton

It isnt? No one ever told me that, been carrying an all steel, 4" barrel 357 for over a year
I think he refers to open carry, Cowboy style.

And while it may be legal, as you point out, he's right in many cases, that in a largely populated (city) area, society's reaction to such is one of contempt and misunderstanding. The liberalally run social science proves, to me, that most look at open carry as a threat and an aggressive demeanor. One that is unwelcomed and shunned.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 10-19-2012 at 05:04 PM.