Polymer .45 ACP, yay or nay? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Polymer .45 ACP, yay or nay?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default +1 for Both

As others have said here, I'd go with both. I carried a 1911 .45 ACP daily in an IWB holster for 7 years. When the first Glock 17 9mm's first hit the Birmingham market I bought one fully expecting it to break....it didn't and I was the only trainee at the Southwest Alabama Police Academy to shoot a 100/100 with a semi-auto pistol (reserve class #98 1991).

I bought a Glock 21 shortly after they came out, but traded it off because it was just too big for my hand. I never had any issues with it. I bought an XD .45 a couple of years ago and have to say I like that pistol a lot. As others have said, it is definitely more accurate than I am. I also like my Glock 22 and 23 I have now. My agency issues a Glock 23, but I carry my personal G-22 on patrol and the G-23 95% of the time off duty.

I still have and love to shoot a 1911 .45 and agree that every shooter should have at least one, but I seldom carry it.....I guess I've gotten spoiled to the light weight polymer frame pistols.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #22

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

I'll have to agree with those suggesting both. I decided to get the poly .45 first and went with a Px4 Storm, and I am very pleased with it. The next handgun will be a 1911, although I haven't even begun to narrow down manufacturers, models.

I think the storm is a very good gun, feels comfortable and is easy to shoot, it is very accurate too.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 05-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #23

So I should trade my plastic HK45c in on a all metal 1911?
Not a chance.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:37 AM   #24

I have an M&P40 and have my eyes on the .45. I also have two 1911s (Kimber , S&W PD). Very different guns and all are in competition to be my favorites. The 1911s are unquestionably more accurate. Or, rather, I'm more accurate when shooting them as are several new shooters who have tried them. But the M&P is a great pistol and arguable a better SD weapon (lighter to make carry easier, larger capacity mag).

If you can only afford 1, get the one that best fits your hand; the one that points most naturally. One advantage of the M&P is the changeable palmswell on the grips, making them a better fit for a wider range of hands. You have less flexibility in the 1911, and they just don't fit everyone well.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:43 AM   #25
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
I own a Glock already, I figure I'd give M&P a chance. It has a few more features than my 3rd gen and they're going for a great price right now.

I started this thread because I know 9mm and .40 work well in a polymer, but I've never fired a .45 ACP in polymer form. I was uncertain of its reliability until now, after reading all these replies, I'm pretty sure an M&P 45 will do me good.

As for people suggesting an XD or XDm, the sheriff's department I'm going to be working for later this year issues the XD40, so I figure I'll get my fill of XD then.
Get hands on with one at a range that rents, I expect you will be truly impressed with the firearm but as always shoot one before you buy one is the best advice. It's still a fair ammount of coin to spend so take one for a test drive. Let us know what you purchase. When you buy a M&P I highly suggest the night sights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:32 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
I've been kickin around on what kind of full-size handgun to get. I decided on the M&P 45 but a friend told me if I was gonna go with a.45, that polymer wouldn't be the way to go.

Do polymer .45 acp handguns have more problems than the metal framed handguns?

Should I save some more and get a 1911?
Indyfan, any pistol that fits you is the one that you should get. I have had several 1911's over the years and the equal amount of Polymer pistols. What it all comes down to is, what do you want. Both are great guns.

You have your 1911 followers that only carry 1911's and the same for the polymer pistols (XD,M&P,etc), the choice is really up to you.

I currently carry a XD45C with a Taurus Model 85 as back up.

Polymer .45 ACP, yay or nay? - Semi-Auto Handguns

I also carry my RIA compact 45 when I feel like it.

Polymer .45 ACP, yay or nay? - Semi-Auto Handguns

Old 05-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #27

Liked 3239 Times on 1624 Posts
Likes Given: 426

I only own one polymer frame gun, an XD40SC. It was purchased specifically for CC. It's not a bad gun, but I don't care for the triggers on striker fired guns. YMMV. If I end up with any more polymer guns, they will have a proper hammer i.e. CZ, HK USP,FNP. I grew up in a revolver world and they just feel "normal" to me.
The M&P guns are just fine, if you like it buy it. The .45 acp cartridge isn't particularly hard on (properly maintained) guns. Honestly, I'd be more worried about .40 S&W.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 05-15-2011, 11:30 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It seems what appeared to be a way to make cheap guns is a way to make major profits. Do they all have to be blocky looking? Can any of them have any aesthetics? Don't get too carried away. I'm from the older generation. If you want tupperware, then have at it. I tend to like guns made from metal.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poof38 View Post
It seems what appeared to be a way to make cheap guns is a way to make major profits. Do they all have to be blocky looking? Can any of them have any aesthetics? Don't get too carried away. I'm from the older generation. If you want tupperware, then have at it. I tend to like guns made from metal.
I have roughly the same opinion, though I did finally get an M&P 40 and I must say, I see the attraction. I still prefer the 1911s for both looks and feel, but the M&P is easy to handle and holds 16 rounds, with an integral grip laser it was half the price of my Kimber which makes it a great nightstand gun. But it doesn't see nearly as much range time as any of my "old fashioned" guns.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #30

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Default Polymer firearms

Sure, polymer pistols will shoot...accurately and flawlessly,,,But they were manufactured to save tremendously on cost to manufacture and are priced right up there with all steel pistols. One owner will likely not wear one out, but there is such possibility.

Many pistols have been handed down to survivors, Grandfather to Dad to son. I am not going to pass on to my survivors a plastic firearm !!!

Make mine good, hard, long lasting steel !!!!