Polymer .45 ACP, yay or nay? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Polymer .45 ACP, yay or nay?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 12:10 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Seems like everyone is giving a thumbs up for the 1911, the only problem is, can I get a good one for around $600?

This isn't gonna be a duty or carry gun, most likely range/home defense and maybe something I'll use for local competitions. I want to start training for 3 gun matches.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:13 AM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
Seems like everyone is giving a thumbs up for the 1911, the only problem is, can I get a good one for around $600?

This isn't gonna be a duty or carry gun, most likely range/home defense and maybe something I'll use for local competitions. I want to start training for 3 gun matches.
You can get a decent used one for that, but I do know I have seen some Para's for around 800, and some colts for around that as well.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:51 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 258 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I have an XDm45 and sure do like it. I also used to have an XD45 compact. No complaints there either. And while I don't have any experience with M&P, I've been pretty impressed with the ones I've handled. If that's what you want, go for it. What I call the polymer "staples" (Glock, XD, M&P, and to a lesser extent FNP) are pretty great guns for the $400-700 you'll spend on them.

I would definitely say a nice ($600-1200) 1911 is a step above, as is a Sig P220. I don't own a 1911 and hope to fix that soon. My two favorite pistols are a CZ 75b and BHP, which by many accounts draw a ton of parallels (and owe a lot) to the 1911 platform. There's just a nice, pointable, sleek balance to them...which I've also noted in the 1911s I've handled and shot.

Polymer= Light weight, high capacity, utilitarian design.
1911= Outstanding balance/handling, a bit heavy, limited capacity, classic design.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:13 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I may be crucified for this...but I actually prefer the polymer guns. I do like a good 1911 quite a bit. But I also prefer the 13 rounds my XD45 can hold to the 7 that my 1911 can hold. I'm thinking M&P .45 will be my next full size handgun.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 05-12-2011, 01:56 AM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am a fan of the 1911 platform and have 9 of them and I have the 4.5 inch barrel XDm-45. But I've got to tell ya I was always of the mind set that I would never own a tupperware gun, but was I wrong! The first thing I noticed shooting it was that is was surprisingly soft shooting, however the grip was small. I have odd bear-paw hands and I had to swap out the backstrap to the largest size at the range.

After the swap, the gun felt like my Colt Combat elite with the arched housing only thicker. I brought an assortment of Hollow Point ammo just in case it didn't like something. It shot Speer GD, Hornady XTP+P, and Corbon JHP+P just like it was FMJ ammo. And as for accuracy, well look at this target from 14 yards:

I had it loaded to 13+1 and I can only see 11, maybe 12 holes. Which means that 2 to 3 rounds went through the same holes. I shot a total of 310 rounds of which 60 were hollow points and the rest were Magtech FMJ and Winchester FMJ (the light ones that look like JSWCs). After all that I was amazed at how soft shooting it was, It makes my Defender seem like a torture device.

Not a jam

I could not be happier with this gun.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 05-12-2011, 02:36 AM   #16
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
I've been kickin around on what kind of full-size handgun to get. I decided on the M&P 45 but a friend told me if I was gonna go with a.45, that polymer wouldn't be the way to go.

Do polymer .45 acp handguns have more problems than the metal framed handguns?

Should I save some more and get a 1911?
I've been CC a M&P 45 for six years. I'm on my second one, not because I wore out the first but because my son wanted it. Now we both CC a M&P 45. The only difference between the two is I had a trigger job done on mine and like the trigger even more, my son like the trigger as is. I chose the M&P because I wanted something a bit lighter than the Kimber I had been carrying. It isn't a 1911, the trigger takes practice to break in and to get use to but I am 100% confidant if needed this firearm will serve me well. I haven't had a single issue with my M&P's that I wouldn't of had with a steel frame. The only valid complaint I have heard about this pistol is "it isn't a 1911". No it isn't but has the attributes I like in a 1911 and took away those that I didn't care for IMHO.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:39 AM   #17

not a fan of polymer in the .45
I'll take polymer any day of the week for a light weight concealable 9mm/380 but in a 45 that stays in my truck or is used for home defense I'll take a steel frame 1911.
I weigh 150lbs and live in a sub tropical climate so a 45 is out as far as cc goes for me but If I'm going to shoot a 45 I like something heavy and controllable.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:38 AM   #18

I own a Taurus PT145 .45acp. It's a Polymer frame .45 and I haven't had one problem with the gun. While I agree with the statement that everyone should own a 1911 .45acp, I don't because my PT145 fills my needs nicely!

MSgt. USAF(Ret.) NRA - Life Mbr., NCOA - Life Mbr., NAHC - Life Mbr., OathKeepers - Founding Mbr., Amer. Legion - Mbr., VFW - Mbr., DVA - Mbr., VVA - Mbr.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:52 AM   #19

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Have ever heard of Mr. Glock?

Old 05-12-2011, 05:38 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyeborn View Post
Have ever heard of Mr. Glock?
I own a Glock already, I figure I'd give M&P a chance. It has a few more features than my 3rd gen and they're going for a great price right now.

I started this thread because I know 9mm and .40 work well in a polymer, but I've never fired a .45 ACP in polymer form. I was uncertain of its reliability until now, after reading all these replies, I'm pretty sure an M&P 45 will do me good.

As for people suggesting an XD or XDm, the sheriff's department I'm going to be working for later this year issues the XD40, so I figure I'll get my fill of XD then.

Last edited by indyfan; 05-12-2011 at 05:41 AM.