Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Poly Sub 45 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/poly-sub-45-a-17229/)

Woody 08-22-2009 04:42 PM

Poly Sub 45

Ok Im going to be gettin my first Poly Subcompact
and I want it in a 45
Really leaning towards a Glock 30 slimline

but also eyballin the Springfield XD

pros cons of either

I really like the feel of the Glock but have never had one and it seems to me there is no lukewarm with Glock you either really luv them or you don't

my edc now is a Ruger P90
and a Kel Tec P3AT

Dillinger 08-22-2009 05:27 PM

Woody - This won't come as much of a surprise around here, but if those are your two choices, I would choose the XD all damn day.

The Glock has several issues, not the least of which includes a higher price tag, a plastic guide rod and handle designed by a moron.

The XD is a superior weapon, I believe, on every level of evaluation.

JD

Samples.32 08-22-2009 05:31 PM

I currently own a glock 23 in .40 cal and I must say that I absolutely love it. My fiance carries it while swimming and it doesn't even get a touch of rust and works great straight out of the water. He also was riding his motorcycle one day when it was raining real hard he slid across the asphalt at 60 mph on top of the glock and the glock only got one mild scratch on the slide. It's easy to take apart and easy to clean. On the other hand we also have an XD put away somewhere in this house and it shoots great. Aaron chose not to use it as a personal carry, simply because he knows his glock can go through anything and he has yet to put the XD through any type pf tests, but he is a gun salesman and supports XD right along with glock. Personally, I like the glock better, but I tend to snatch a little to the left when shooting it because I have such small hands. The XD I am always on target. Glock does better out to a further distance... You shouldn't have a reason to shoot a handgun at that distance. It's definetly a toss up, but as you said you either love the glock or you hate it. I suggest hitting the range to test them both out and see what you think.

Samples.32 08-22-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 148999)
Woody - This won't come as much of a surprise around here, but if those are your two choices, I would choose the XD all damn day.

The Glock has several issues, not the least of which includes a higher price tag, a plastic guide rod and handle designed by a moron.

The XD is a superior weapon, I believe, on every level of evaluation.

JD

Dillinger is bias he is old :p The plastic guide rod holds out perfectly well although I might agree about the handle, but the XD has nearly the same problem. The glock, I believe, can stand up to more so the higher price is worth it not to mention the price isn't that much higher around these parts.

Dillinger 08-22-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samples.32 (Post 149002)
Dillinger is bias he is old :p The plastic guide rod holds out perfectly well although I might agree about the handle, but the XD has nearly the same problem. The glock, I believe, can stand up to more so the higher price is worth it not to mention the price isn't that much higher around these parts.

:D

*paging Sgt Miller* Your opinion on this thread is EXPRESSLY needed...

JD

Samples.32 08-22-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 149004)
:D

*paging Sgt Miller* Your opinion on this thread is EXPRESSLY needed...

JD

Oh look he's calling the other old guy :p

WDB 08-23-2009 05:26 AM

Woody, Take a hard look at the S&W M&P 45 compact. I own the full size model and wouldn't carry anything less. Sub compacts has a shorter grip and unless you have small hands it is a poor choice, you can add an extended mag or a an extended grip to make it up but at that point why not go for a compact instead of a sub compact?

If I had to chose between a Glock and a XD I would pick a XD with out question and possibly blindfolded based on the grip angle. still saying why limit yourself to these? Go to a range that rents several of the top guns and shoot until you find the one that fits you.

I have looked for a good sub comact in high caliber for a long time and discovered the best is a 357 mag snub nose rerolver.

layton 08-23-2009 05:00 PM

I have an XD that I use for around the house and carry in the car, but I also have a Taurus PT745 cub compact, and after going to the range Thursday to fire both, came back and cleaned the XD, then started cleaning the PT 745, when I noticed what looked like a crack under the thumb safty in the polymer part of the lower. I called Taurus, and the service was great, they are sending FedEX with a box to send it back, so in the meantime I got a light and magnifing glass and looked real close and found that it was not a crack, but just a ridge there, well got to call Taurus and cancil.

Was relieved that it was not a crack, and that weapon shoots great right alongside the XD. The XD has about 1500 rounds through it and the Taurus has about 1000 rounds through it and both perform excelant with no FTF or FTE at all, great weapons.

One other question, is it not rcomended to use goose grease on the slides any more, have not even seen it any where, the last I used it was in the service and we were told to always use it on the slides to cut down on wear.
Now all I see mentioned is to just keep the slides lightly oiled, is that the norm now? Sorry to sound uninformed, but as far as taking care of weapons are concerned, I am still in the 60's.

Layton

Gojubrian 08-23-2009 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody (Post 148984)
Ok Im going to be gettin my first Poly Subcompact
and I want it in a 45
Really leaning towards a Glock 30 slimline

but also eyballin the Springfield XD

pros cons of either

I really like the feel of the Glock but have never had one and it seems to me there is no lukewarm with Glock you either really luv them or you don't

my edc now is a Ruger P90
and a Kel Tec P3AT

Xd doesn't come in a sub-compact .45, 9mm and .40 only. The smallest xd in .45 you'll find is a 4" .

SGT-MILLER 08-23-2009 10:22 PM

Samples.32 posted:
Quote:

Oh look he's calling the other old guy :p
Time to head off to bed. The adults need to have a conversation here. :D

Ok, I'll start off by saying the XD lineup does not offer a .45 ACP sub-compact. Your only choices for the XD sub-compact lineup will be the 9x19mm or the .40 S&W chamberings. You can still pick up a compact .45 ACP XD with a 4 inch barrel. You may want to look into that, if that seems like something you would be interested in.

Now onto the Glock issue. Here's a few of my thoughts on the overpriced Glock brand (perfection my a**....lol).

1. Tennifer finish is nothing special. In the USA, one of the names it is called is Melonite (which is what the XD lineup uses). Tennifer and Melonite are the same thing, just different names. The folks in Europe that developed the Tennifer finish didn't want other companies to use the name (which is understandable from a marketing standpoint). Don't take my word for it, though. I encourage you to perform the research yourself if you do not believe me.

2. The plastic guide rod. The plastic guide rod does, in fact, hold up to normal use, but there is one big issue I have with it. Plainly put, I do not want to spend 550 dollars or more on a pistol that has the same plastic guide rod that is offered on a 300 dollar S&W Sigma pistol. The XD lienup has steel, not plastic, guide rods. Plastic versus steel? It's your choice on that.

3. The infamous Glock torture tests. The Glock company is known to trudge out the fact that their pistols can withstand all sorts of weird torture tests and still fire. That's great, but the Glock isn't the only pistol to do it. XD did the same torture tests, but put even more rounds through their pistols.

4. The grip angle. The reasoning behind this grip angle on the Glock is beacuse supposedly when you use the pistol in a "true" aggressive combat stance, this grip angle will allow natural point of aim. That is utter BS. I always wonder what the Glock company considers a combat stance? What about one-handed shooting? Around barricades? Sitting? Shooting while moving? etc, etc. Some people love the grip angle, but others hate them. Most operators I have spoke with in my military travels cannot stand the Glock. They prefer another grip angle which is what the XD offers. This grip angle was pioneered by:

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review...5_defender.gif

The 1911 pistol! I would recommend that you try out one of the 1911 compacts offered on today's market (like the picture which is a Colt Defender .45 ACP). You WILL NOT find another design that has proven itself in longevity, and reliability. I encourage you to show me another semi-automatic design that is still being used by military, LEO, federal, and civilian sheep dog people after 98 years.

In the end, it's up to you what you choose. The firearm has to fit YOU. Take your time with your decision, and go with your gut feeling. Some firearms will feel "right" to you, others will not.

Good luck, and regardless of your choice, you will be getting a firearm that works just fine.

Here's my basic review of my personal XD9 on youtube: