Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Poly or Not

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Poly or Not

OK
I'm insearch of a 45acp sub compact or compact
I've got alot of input on the XD vs Glock 30 on my Poly thread
but now I've found a Para Ordinance P10-45 for just chumpchange more than the XD with stainless slide $599 for the Para

the Kimber ultra is a bit more than I was planning to spend but still not outa the question I'm seeing them on line for 8 bills

so Poly or compact 1911 I know it's apples n oranges
fill me in on pros n cons

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-26-2009, 03:39 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

The tiny 1911s (less than 4" barrel) tend to be the most tempramental of the species. I've had 2 friends that tried to love their Para Warthawg - but never could get it to shoot reliably. Personally, the smallest 1911 I ever want is Commander sized.

I've held a P10 but never shot one. The double stack Para's also get a lot of love/hate press as they're either great or trouble depending on the one you get.

I only own 2 poly guns and both are XDs. The XD Compact .45 is my designated truck gun and it travels everywhere with me. Even though it's called a Compact, it's still a pretty big gun. I find it easier to conceal my Colt Commander - but the Commander is a lot heavier...

Last edited by NGIB; 08-26-2009 at 03:43 PM.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Wow....the thread could get exciting! I am a HUGE XD fan and I believe them to be the finest poly weapon available currently. I own an XD45 and trust it with my life, I have NEVER had one single problem with it and it eats everything I've fed it. I do not believe you can go wrong with that platform. That being said....

I'm new to 1911's but one thing it does have over the XD is an active safety, although the XD can be had with an active safety that feature is not available on their compact model.
Currosion isn't really an issue in either case, especially if you go with stainless. People say the XDs rust well, mine is 3 years old(blued), been shot in the rain, carried and I have done nothing more then make sure it stays clean and wiped down and I haven't seen a hint of rust.
Accuracy, 4" XD will shoot as accurate as a 4" 1911.
Durability, both are durable. The 1911 clearly has a longer track record but google the XD torture test. As I stated, I trust this weapon with my life.

My long winded post brings me to this statement. Go shoot both and then decide. Both are great weapons and both will give you good service. The 1911 is more tunable in that there are ton and tons of options available in the aftermarket. The XD has some but no where near the 1911.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

That really is a tough question, because so much of that boils down to personal preference.

I prefer a Commander size frame for my 1911's. It just feels better in my hands ( I wear size XL gloves ) and I feel more in control of the weapon.

Generally, you can get a Commander Frame and 4.25" barreled weapon. If you have a larger frame, "hiding" that size weapon isn't a problem.

I only have a couple of forms of dress where I print with either a belt or a shoulder rig with my T3. The rest of the time, no one is the wiser.

One of the keys to the 1911 being a big favorite for CCW is that it is single stack, so the width isn't a problem.

When you get into most all the other polymer wunderkind pistols, they are all double stacked, so they are much wider and produce more of a profile when tucked into a waist band or under your arm.

Personally I carried a Sig P229 in .40S&W to and from work in 6 states here in the US. It was small enough to hide, but big enough to get the job done. It was also double stacked and I loved that weapon.

And then I shot a full sized 1911 in .45 ACP and it was all down hill from there.

The 1911 was easier to conceal and it was easier to shoot. For me, it was a no brainer.

The best advice is go to a range and see if you can rent a few different models. When it hits your hands, you will know what the right gun FOR YOU is....

JD

Old 08-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #5

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Don't buy until you look/hold the New Agent/Defender.

^ Canebrake Defender w/47DOXB (8 rd)

If CCW is your use, my Defender is deadly in real CQB distances. (8 + 1 in 230 gr +P will get 'er done!)

A three inch pipe is NOT the launch tube for any distance greater than 30 yds. But you know that!

The 3" sub 1911 is the only mouse gun that still feels good in my hands.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #6

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
The 3" sub 1911 is the only mouse gun that still feels good in my hands.
Cane, only you would call a 3" 1911 a mouse gun...

Old 08-26-2009, 04:35 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I tried the Warthog and liked it, but it is a rather thick gun for its size, and you don't get that many extra rounds compared to a Colt Defender. I love my Para P14, the thick grip fits my hands perfectly, and it has twice the ammo capacity of a regular 1911 so I consider the bulk a worthwhile trade off. However, if you're looking at sub-compact for ease of concealment, nothing beats a single stack.

I've had good luck with ParaOrdnance so far (I haven't had my gun for long, and only shot around 500 rounds through it, so take it with a grain of salt), and I would buy another one of their products.

Check out their LDA single stacks. There are a couple of interesting models that could work for you.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 08-26-2009, 04:46 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

There are other choices in .45 besides 1911's that are steel. Cz's and several others make steel .45's.

BUT, if I had my druthers I'd get a 4inch 1911, 3" 1911 for carry.

Those colt defenders look nice!

Old 08-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2613 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Cane, only you would call a 3" 1911 a mouse gun...
You have not seen the Everglades mouse have you? Round here we call them Nutria. They make rats look like fleas.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-26-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
You have not seen the Everglades mouse have you? Round here we call them Nutria. They make rats look like fleas.
I saw a show on TV where people were eating those things. Do people in your area make a meal out of them?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer